Zx7r Clean Air Mod

Pugwash

Stumbled blindly across this simple mod the other day.

Anybody done this?

Results?

Did you change the jets or leave standard?

Over to you lot.

Jets will be OK. Less waight/junk on the bike, no hot gasses drawn into the airbox.

No, jets will not be ok.

If you remove the emissions stuff, you will need to put in smaller main jets.

There is loads of info on this on Redmonkey site ;)

No, jets will not be ok.

If you remove the emissions stuff, you will need to put in smaller main jets.

There is loads of info on this on Redmonkey site ;)

Should use the Red Monkey more. It just aint very user friendly. I saw the mod on Mr Ninja's handy wee site but wondered if the jets must be done or u can get away with it.

Cheers.

It's a 'unique' site ;)

You can leave the stock jets in if you like, it will run VERY rich though!

I'd drop from the standard 190 down to about a 150 or 160 main if removing the emissions stuff.

It's a 'unique' site ;)

You can leave the stock jets in if you like, it will run VERY rich though!

I'd drop from the standard 190 down to about a 150 or 160 main if removing the emissions stuff.

May give this a bash.

Even my crap spanner wielding skills are up to this.

Maybe.

Did this to my P5 along with full micron system and the float bowl mod...turned into a nightmare as was rushed just before a trip to the ring, bike ran so rich that after a stint on the m/way it wouldnt restart for ages repeatdly(went like stink when not on a constant throttle though :eusa_dance: ). Anyway, got home, undid the float bowl mod and she ran better, dropped the jets a few sizes and better again.....got wrote off day before the dyno trip :eusa_wall:

Does make it easier to get at stuff with all the gubbins removed and saves a little weight. As has been said, good write ups on monkey about it :thumbsup:

I thought taking the emisions stuff of didnt afect the jetting (much), I knew you had to rejet after doing the float bowl mod.

I thought taking the emisions stuff of didnt afect the jetting (much), I knew you had to rejet after doing the float bowl mod.

This, from what I'd read.

Removing the emissions pipework etc.. 'IS' part of the float bowl mod. ;)

I did it at different times on my ZX7R, after removing the emisions stuff the throttle response was nicer, also after removing the wire screen from the air filter. After doing the float bowl mod then I had to muck about with jets.

Is this mod the same as for the ZX6R? I have taken all that crap off mine and plugged the hole in the airbox. it was just pipework that goes to the exhaust to burn off unused fuel.

I am now wondering if this is why I have a nasty problem when on constant throttle at high revs for a long time i.e. motorway, the bike wont pull and hesitates for a sec when I try and accelerate like its out of fuel but then takes off like normal, It is also a bitch to start when its hot.

I'm not sure if its the same on the 6?

I know that on the 7 the carbs are pressurised by the airbox, I'll assume its the same on the 6. So, you will stil need to run the pipe from the carbs that used to go through all the emissions stuff, directly to the airbox.

Does that make sense?

Archived