Aim Beacon & Timer Help

biker jay

AIM beacon, anyone used one?

Cant get mine working and not sure what to do. Might be broke?

The IR one? Do you try running it with the "internal" battery pack or with an external 12V-source?

There is a little switch inside the beacon housing. It toggles "high power" (external 12V only) and "low power" (both sources o.k. but track isn´t wider then 10 meters). The high power mode is lighting up the corresponding LED on the transmitter.

I hope that helps.

I had a look before for the internal toggle but cant see it. Either way i have tried the internal batteries and external. Question, does the 'ring' of led's light up when its working? cos mine isnt. Also, tried just the timer on the bike at cadwell, it didnt work but i wonder; do you have to start the timer manually before you pass the beacon. All i was doing was turning the timer on and not starting the clock. If that makes sense.

Cheers, Jay

I had a look before for the internal toggle but cant see it. Either way i have tried the internal batteries and external. Question, does the 'ring' of led's light up when its working? cos mine isnt.

It lights up only when you can see infrared ;) but power on should light up.

Also, tried just the timer on the bike at cadwell, it didnt work but i wonder; do you have to start the timer manually before you pass the beacon. All i was doing was turning the timer on and not starting the clock. If that makes sense.

Cheers, Jay

Which timer are you using? MyChron Light (small yellow one) or TG bigger box, bigger display)?

Both start by turning them on and trigger the laptime by passing the beacon. Make sure the "eye" of the timer points towards the beacon and isn´t blocked from the beacon by your arms when crouching behind the screen on the straight.

When I checked a Mychron Light I had to move the beacon by the eye several times before I got the angle right and it triggered a time.

On a sidenote: make sure you set the "obscuring time" on your timer at roughly the time you need to get by the pit wall + 5 secs. so you don´t trigger times with every beacon on the pitwall as there normally are more than one...

Small update on the switch-matter: There seems to be a jumper instead of a switch. Set up like this (see below, next to the power jack) high power mode is on, both "Power" and "20m/60ft" LED should light up when using an external 12V source.

04b41e62.jpg

my timer is the MyChron Light. The pic is what my beacon looks like too, so how do i adjust the switch? cos either mine is stuck or i dont know what? I've brought my sensor pass the beacon while off the bike but nothing happens still. going to have more of a play this evening.

Thanks for the help so far.

Fair one mille, just wanted to get mine working to test my timer. Also some tracks i go to not many people use beacon timers.

Cheers.

Archived