Garage/workshop Floor 'paint'

banoffee

Can anyone recommend me some? Want a grey colour, strong, resistant to oil/petrol etc.

I can unreccomend some stuff for you. Johnsons floor paint. It's not shit, but it's not especially good either. I put mine down about 12 months back and it's lifting already, despite the PVA I put down before hand, often on warm tyres when I come in from a ride. I've got half a tin left here if you want to disappoint yourself. I've heard good things about epoxy based stuff, but I don't know much about it to be honest. The other thing of course is that emptying the garage completely is going to be a right pain in the arse. In short, get the best stuff you can afford, because you don't want to do it twice.

I used the johnstones stuff about 3 years ago and its still going strong even with pretty much daily use, i did give the floor a nice coat of PVA before hand tho.

My garage is painted with Wicks grey garage paint (using their sealer underneath). Its pretty good, parking hot tyres on them will take it off when you later move the bike, but its stood upto everything else well. I have it half covered in capret tiles now though...

I hate garage floor paint. I've had lots of bad experiences. Well, two actually. I've tried pva undercoat and the etching stuff too. Neither worked properly. I think it might be down to the quality of the concrete. I'm now looking at those posh floor tiles like the ones they use in BSB.

cheers for the replies. those maplin tiles - do they dent with sidestands, paddock stands etc?

Ronseal do a Diamond Hard slate grey floor paint which i have just put down. Whatever you use though, hot tyres will lift it so you need a tiled area to park the bike on.

To add that you can buy rubber mats in 10m lengths that will do a good job of covering the parking areas. I have a link somewhere but i can't find it at the moment.

We did the floor at work, god knows how many sq.m, the only thing that lasts is a two pack floor paint, dont have the name to hand but i'm sure a little gentle interweb research will throw somethingup.

It ain't cheap but you won't need to redo it every six months......

When you pick the bike up the dent is there but the foam slowly recovers during the day so when I get back home it's gone. If you put something weighty with a thin edge I could see it cutting the tile but I've not had any problems. I moved the wife's Bandit 12(heaviest assembled bike in garage) after a month on the sidestand in the sameplace and the dent was gone by teatime.

you *must* use a two pack floor paint. Oddly enough, garage floor paint is not meant for garages as it lifts when warm tyres are left on it. Invest in 2 pack workshop floor paint or else you're wasting your money.

Can anyone recommend me some? Want a grey colour, strong, resistant to oil/petrol etc.

How big an area do you want doing banoffee?

They reason I ask is i'm a contracts manager(off the tools)for a liquid waterproofing company and if the area is not too large i'll coat it for ya, just feed and water me whilst i'm doing it :)

My TA unit had the armoury floor painted which delaminated using a floor coating paint by others, I used some of our products to coat it after scrapping back to sound then used a Binder/sealer then a moisture cured top coat which has been down for over 5+ years now without any issues. I can even do a non slip area/walkway for ya.

PM me if your intrested.

Barry

I managed to do most of my garage with foam tiles from ebay. £50. They do mostly recover from indents but I wouldn't put a sidestand down without a puck to stop the bike tipping over!!

A good compromise might be to paint the floor in whatever is cheapest and get a bit of carpet to put the bike on whilst it cools down.

A friend of mine had the two pack epoxy levelling stuff done in his garage. It was the first thing he did before he moved in properly. Before curtains went up in the main house etc. It had a shiny non slip surface on the top. It looked so fantastic that he did not want to walk on it or wheel the bikes onto it because the shine inevitaly dulls by the tiny scratches from road dirt. Mr Banoffee needs this - nothing else will do to match the quality of his detailing work.

i've just done my garage floor using leyland floor paint. got it from screwfix , think it was £27 for 5 litres . have done 2 coats on a double garage floor and still have some left . did my old garage with the same paint afew years ago using a proper sealer and had no issues .

Archived