Effect Of Triple Clamp Offset

Matt69

Can anybody point me in the right direction for some good reading material, ie an idiots guide, on the effect of increasing fork offset on steering geometry. I've got a couple of books I've read but they don't have much info.

For some background, I've got hold of a pretty cheap set of early Honda RS250GP triple clamps and am thinking of putting them on my NC29 racer as they are heaps prettier and beefier. The fork diameter is the same and I can get a steering stem made up and fitted for the right price. They do however have about 7mm more offset then the NC29 ones.

Matt

Most obvious effect will be to reduce the trail - the distance that the contact patch is behind the steering axis. Will make the steering lighter but potentially less stable.

I've got a book by a guy called Gaetano Cocco (Motorcycle Design & Technology Handbook), who worked for Aprilia. It's somewhat comically translated from Italian, but pretty good.

Otherwise Tony Foale's book is supposed to be pretty good, but I've not read it

The Late JR's Chassis Tuning book explains it well

More fork offset = less trail and hence faster, more responsive steering

• 2 weeks later...

This formula should allow you to work out the effect of changes to offset on the trail of your set up:

Trail= (RxSinø - 0) / cosø

Where:

ø = Rake Angle, R = Tyre radius, 0 = Triple clamp offset

Paul

This formula should allow you to work out the effect of changes to offset on the trail of your set up:

Trail= (RxSinø - 0) / cosø

Where:

ø = Rake Angle, R = Tyre radius, 0 = Triple clamp offset

Paul

Paul,

Thanks very much for this. I found this site http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html which even though it is for tractors seems as though it should do the job.

Off overseas for work for a couple of weeks so will get stuck into it when I get back. The length of the forks and the step down on the top triple tree should give me a bit of room to play with the geometry as well.

Archived