Grip Glue - Alternatives?

alexp5

My left hand bar grip keeps coming loose. It's annoying.

I've cleaned the inside of the grip and the bar end with thinners and tried the usual suspects:

Hair spray. Extreme hold (allegedly). Crap.

Acrylic rattle can lacquer. Didn't dry. Still gloopy.

Rubber cement. Like wot you get in puncture repair kits... well, it's for rubber innit.

Poly contact cement. Like wot you get in Airfix kits. Last resort really. Also crap.

Cable ties. seriously.

I don't have lockwire or pliers for applying said lockwire, so that's out.

And I don't have any Renthal grip glue which, by virtue of it's name, would probably be the ideal stuff to use. If anyone has a half-used tube they would be willing to donate to the cause... :icon_salut: )

Any ideas? I'm considering rivetting the bastard on :angry:

Well i used hairspray on my Renthal grips and its stuck fast.. I did clean mine up PRIOR to fitting them (The bars that is) with Acetone (nail varnish remover to you).Clean and leave to dry... Then spray the hair spray on,position it and leave for 30mins-1 hour. It should not move.If you don't clean up the bars you are leaving stuff (old glue) on the bars..The hairspray reacts with this and will not adhere properly.

I would be careful what you put on to hold the grips as it might react and melt the rubber or just naff them up completely.

:icon_salut:

Must point out... Thinners has a slower DRY TIME than acetone. If it is not completely dry it will just react with the glue you use.Acetone is also Harsher than the thinners therefor will remove more crud..

Have a go and see if it works.. Clean the grip as well...

is the grip a little too loose? it should be a tight fit..

It's an 'interference fit' IYSWIM. Loose enough to be annoying but not baggy.

Well i used hairspray on my Renthal grips and its stuck fast.. I did clean mine up PRIOR to fitting them (The bars that is) with Acetone (nail varnish remover to you).Clean and leave to dry... Then spray the hair spray on,position it and leave for 30mins-1 hour. It should not move.If you don't clean up the bars you are leaving stuff (old glue) on the bars..The hairspray reacts with this and will not adhere properly.

I would be careful what you put on to hold the grips as it might react and melt the rubber or just naff them up completely.

Cleaned both with thinners. Thoroughly.

The hairspray thing has always worked for me in the past.

I shall go and beat my wife for buying the wrong hairspray.

That ^ was a joke, BTW.

I use hairspray too, and use it to clean the bars with. I've re-used grips too using hairspray.

When I clean grips to be reused, I do it with washing up liquid and dry the grips with my hairdryer. Maybe the thinners is reacting with the compound of the grips?

Hairspray doesn't work very well on bars with knurled ends though.

Hairspray? Nail polish remover?

Fuck, I'm gonna fit them renthals when I get back fo sho now just to fuck her off.

She's teetering on the edge of bike overload as it is. Using her girly stuff to fit grips may tip her over.

Hairspray doesn't work very well on bars with knurled ends though.

Hmm. They're Renthal bars with knurled bits.

I've just found a cartridge of Evostik Wet Grip (fnarr) so I'll give that a go.

Fuck, I'm gonna fit them renthals when I get back fo sho now just to fuck her off.

She's teetering on the edge of bike overload as it is. Using her girly stuff to fit grips may tip her over.

:icon_blackeye:

:lol: Do it.

:icon_blackeye:

Brilliant!

I don't have lockwire or pliers for applying said lockwire,

then buy some idea1.gif

Well i used hairspray on my Renthal grips and its stuck fast.. I did clean mine up PRIOR to fitting them (The bars that is)

+1

Archived