suspension set-up for cbr600f 2001

Pete

Mate of mines just bought a cbr600f 2001. In great nick but the rear shocks is as soft as buggery.

PB did a list of suspension set-ups for all the bikes they tested, and had it on the old website but I can't find it now so any help would be appreciated.

The guy he bought it off never changed his settings so I take it they're still stock. Both ends have got loads of adjustment left so your thoughts please ladies and gents.

Pete

Which model is it? Is it carbed (with rounded air intakes and headlight) or fuel injection (more angular headlights and air intakes)? They were very similar bikes but the FI model got updated suspension so the settings are a bit different:

99/00 CBR600F-X/Y:

Rear:

Preload: position 3

Compression: half turn out from max

Rebound: 1 turn out from max

Front:

Preload: 2 lines showing

Compression: 1 turn out from max

Rebound: 3/4 turn out from max

00/01 CBR600FS/Sport:

Rear:

Preload: position 6 out of 7

Compression: 1/2 turn out from full in

Rebound: 1/2 turn out from full in

Front:

Preload: 1 line showing

Compression: 3/4 turn out from full in

I used to have an FX model - fabulous bike, still miss it. I used the PB settings which were good for my weight (~70kg in the nip) and made the bike feel much more composed. But bear in mind you really need to set the sag for your own weight. Also, when I sold mine with 35,000 miles on the clock the shock was shot and the rear tyre was wearing really quickly as a result, so a smart shiny new shock may be in order.

Have fun! :tumbleweed:

RFTR,

Matt ;)

Which model is it? Is it carbed (with rounded air intakes and headlight) or fuel injection (more angular headlights and air intakes)? They were very similar bikes but the FI model got updated suspension so the settings are a bit different:

99/00 CBR600F-X/Y:

Rear:

Preload: position 3

Compression: half turn out from max

Rebound: 1 turn out from max

Front:

Preload: 2 lines showing

Compression: 1 turn out from max

Rebound: 3/4 turn out from max

00/01 CBR600FS/Sport:

Rear:

Preload: position 6 out of 7

Compression: 1/2 turn out from full in

Front:

Preload: 1 line showing

Compression: 3/4 turn out from full in

I used to have an FX model - fabulous bike, still miss it. I used the PB settings which were good for my weight (~70kg in the nip) and made the bike feel much more composed. But bear in mind you really need to set the sag for your own weight. Also, when I sold mine with 35,000 miles on the clock the shock was shot and the rear tyre was wearing really quickly as a result, so a smart shiny new shock may be in order.

Have fun! ;)

RFTR,

Matt ;)

Thanks for the help.

He's got the FI model, I left the front end alone as it seems fairly good(but way off the above settings!!) The rear was increased preload to nr 5 (after we checked the sag with him on it- which got it to 30mm) and the compression 1 turn out from fully in. I'll bear in mind the above settings and once I've got him on a trackday or two we'll take another look at both ends.

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers,

Pete :rolleyes:

Archived