Gsxr 750 K6 Brake Issue

Patf

I've discoverd that the brake disc on one side can move back and forth about 1mm or so on the brake carrier. Other side is solid. I know the design allow for expansion when hot, but this doesnt seem right at all. New disc time ??

just wondering, is the caliper binding that may be preventing the movement in the disc?

Calipers are fine. More digging I do, more I find its a problem I should not have.

Had the same problem on my B-King, disc was replaced under warranty.

Bikes too old now for a warranty claim. Have email Suzuki customer care though to see what they say.

What part does the disc move on? check the "seized" disc around this area for corrosion or dirt, see if you can clean it up? Seems like you should go for a set of new discs though. I understand you should replace as a pair, and also replace the pads at the same time.

At the end of the day, all that is between you and that car that just pulled out on you is your mighty set of tockio's...so spend a few quid and be safe :eusa_dance:

Disc will move (rotate) on the carrier. They are not supposed to move. Spoke with mate who has a GSXR 1000 k5 (same discs) and confimed no movement. Will be visiting local bike shop at the weekend to

1. Have a feel (oo err) of other Suzuki as a final check

2. Sort out replacements

Hmmm, I run a K7 gsxr (same as K6) and both discs move on the carrier, the bike has done 10,000 miles on the original discs and currently run SBS sintered race pads with goodridge lines and work perfectly, has your braking performance decreased leading you to investigate further ???

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

Brakes are fine. Just noticed a slight 'clunk' when I moved the bike out the garage and dabbed the brake to stop the bike. Thing is, there is very slight movement side to side which I might understand, but not back and forth to the amount I can move them. I imagine, the more this happens the more the brake disc carrier will wear as the faces of the carrier arms get 'hit' when brakes first applied and disc stops but wheel moves a tiny amount before the two parts come in contact. I did a search and found a few forums where others had said they have had the same issue and replaced discs.

Also as a result of this looseness, I can move the disc up and down, which again cant be right.

Found this for example

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266466

Archived