Need A Proper Fabricator Type Person Or Company In/ Near Essex

pieman

Got a mille with a custom (kit) rear end. I've had it properly blended in to make it look 'factory' fit rather than just bolted it on. The only problem is that the exhaust that I had made for it isn't gonna be okay as it is- the company that fabricated it said as it was so light (it really is very light) it won't need a hanger. I disagree.

IMG_1041.jpg

Seems it was a bit of a cop out and I don't think they could really be bothered. It hasn't touched the swingarm or even the number plate in the 2000 miles I've done since getting it (I commute on it hence why it is perfectly road legal-ish) but I am aware it moves about quite a bit. I did try using a strap for a monkey bike round the link pipe and secured it to the rearsets with a piece of flat bar which I had drilled and rounded off the edges on, but the strap snapped- not sure if that's because the strap was rubbish, or because I should have heated it when I adjusted the bend in it or what. Any ideas gratefully received and if anyone can help or point me in the direction of an actual place that does real fabrication instead of just bolting stuff on or tutting and stroking their chin and sweating about cutting into the seat unit, as I'm thinking I might have to get a proper mount fitted to the rear subframe through the seat unit, it looks great as is but I really don't want people riding behind worrying if it's gonna fall off!!

PH_21.jpg

How sturdy is the numberplate mounting point? It looks like you might be able to run a small bracket off the back of it to a strap around the can :P

How sturdy is the numberplate mounting point? It looks like you might be able to run a small bracket off the back of it to a strap around the can :P

The rear end is fibreglass. Good idea, but I wouldn't risk it without some sort of plate behind it, which is a possibility, but then weight starts becoming a factor on the unsupported bit at the back. I'll get a pic up of inside the bodywork in the morning to show what I mean.

And xworks looks very interesting, thanks for that link.

Where abouts in Essex are you?

I could knock you up an ally hanger and stainless strap but my workshop is just over the border in Suffolk.

sod ya then, i'm next door to cyclone motorsport in wickford (i help them build proper race cars.) besides i'm more ape than monkey!

How sturdy is the numberplate mounting point? It looks like you might be able to run a small bracket off the back of it to a strap around the can :)

I'd go for a much smaller strap off the battery box.

sod ya then, i'm next door to cyclone motorsport in wickford (i help them build proper race cars.) besides i'm more ape than monkey!

It's true I've seen him

thanks again for replies. Didn't get a chance to take pics this morning as I was helping my young friend with his 125, He's very interested in the workings and i just happen to have a c90 engine that i'm stripping and putting a new barrel and piston on. I think you'll appreciate my problem when you see the pics, they paint a thousand words and all that.

what you could do with is a piece made that could be grafted onto the bodywork and blended in to make it look like there should actually be a hanger bracket already, then it would just be a case of making something in either ally or stainless to go tween the can and the bodywork/bracket.

edited to add, i'm guessing that seeing as the can don't weigh an awful lot, it would only have the mount for the exhaust as a sway brace, even so it wouldn't be too much of an issue to have the inside of the tail braced with an alluminium plate aswell then the mounts could be made of alluminium reinforced fiberglass which could be bonded to the tail and have a couple of permanent fixings between the inner and outer alluminium iyswim.

IMG_1213.jpg

something like this but with the upper mount being higher up the tail and into the corner formed as the tail changes shape.

Hi

A bit of a bugger of a problem

Just a shot... if you attach something to the body work that wasn't originally designed to be there and the body work wasn't designed as a load bearing ( all be it very light...ish load )structure other than it's own weight, you might well find stress cracks appearing in the body work around either mounting holes or indead across the body work itself. I am guessing the main loadings will be vibrations of one form or another either from the road or motor, also shock loadings generated on the movement of the bike itself and suspension reacting to the road surface etc' etc

I am just up the road from Wickford do you frequent the Turpin on a Tuesday eve? .... could have a look at it then for you if you don't get a solution in the meantime.

All the best

SteveT

RHRC

nice one, the only way i see is to bolt to the rear subframe and exit through the side bodywork. Its just a matter of finding someone who could finish it neatly. Think I'm sorted now. I sometimes get to the turpin, feel free to come say hello, you can't miss the bike lol

nice one, the only way i see is to bolt to the rear subframe and exit through the side bodywork. Its just a matter of finding someone who could finish it neatly. Think I'm sorted now. I sometimes get to the turpin, feel free to come say hello, you can't miss the bike lol

Hi Pieman

I agree the biggest part will be the finishing of it...... carefull use of dremmal and masking tape I suspect

Re: the Turpin: no problem, I'm the the owner of that old nail of a CB1000 with the flatslides and 54mm USD front end that has appeared on here and in the PB mag a couple of times.

All the best

SteveT

RHRC

Archived