'99 R6 Handling Issue.

chancho196

A mate has a '99 R6 and the thing doesn't inspire much confidence when cornering. When you lean it over it feels great to a point, but then falls sharply onto its side making you want to pick it up slightly to try and have another go. (Mid-corner is not the place to be finding this out!)

So is this a normal trait of the early versions? I ride an '06 GSXR 1000 and it feels completely mellow from upright to full lean and is therefore easier to ride - he prefers those characteristics too.

Now, the front forks do feel slightly soft, with a distinct lack of rebound damping. Is it worth winding the adjusters to maximum and maybe try a thicker oil?

The tyres are Pilot Roads, which have been on a while but aren't really squared off as such. Have these been known to cause twitchiness?

Suspension/tyre guru's - fire away!

I had a 2000 R6.

If I remember correctly they have an odd front tyre size as standard 50/55/60?? which can make the front end feel a bit funny.

I never found mine a problem though, it was always flighty as hell, so its possibly something else?

Cheers chaps, I'll look into that. :beerchug:

Tyre pressures or just oddly worn tyres. Tell him to corner harder and that'll wear off any steps he's got...

I'll increase the rebound later, forks come up way too quickly and then settle down to their "sag" position. Tyre pressures are usually always at 36psi (checked regularly) so all that's left is to give it rice or change the boots. I'd opt for giving it stick but, as a steady rider, he's unlikely to start doing this, especially when the bike inspires no confidence.

I'm happy with the replies guys because now I know these things should turn as good as the rest of them.

Just fitted Power Pures to my Gixer and they are fantastic! Slower to turn in than the Pilot Powers I had on before, but feel superb at all angles!

If it was me I'd start by setting the sag on the suspension, then tweak the damping settings. If the sag isn't right, you'll struggle to get the bike to behave correctly.

If it was me I'd start by setting the sag on the suspension, then tweak the damping settings. If the sag isn't right, you'll struggle to get the bike to behave correctly.

Yeah, been looking through that this afternoon and it seems to have improved things. It's pissing down today though so can't really use it in anger.

I had a 2000 R6.

If I remember correctly they have an odd front tyre size as standard 50/55/60?? which can make the front end feel a bit funny.

I never found mine a problem though, it was always flighty as hell, so its possibly something else?

Yep, a 60 profile. I guess it will be a little quick to steer with that on. Anyone ever tried a 70 profile?

Anyone ever tried a 70 profile?

Not me, but lots of others have, and from what I've read, not only does it steady things at the front, it also means you have to do something with the mudgard to gain a bit more clearance.

Not me, but lots of others have, and from what I've read, not only does it steady things at the front, it also means you have to do something with the mudgard to gain a bit more clearance.

Cheers chap and thanks to everyone who answered! Very helpful. :icon_salut:

Every early R6 I've ridden running the oem size lower profile front tyre has been very quick to steer but felt like they were on a knife edge and were about to tuck the front.

You are the man! Thanks mate, that's exactly what I wanted to hear (well at least I now know it's normal!). :icon_salut:

Every early R6 I've ridden running the oem size lower profile front tyre has been very quick to steer but felt like they were on a knife edge and were about to tuck the front.

My cousin and a few of his mates had R6s when they first came out and they all changed to 70 profiles and said they were transformed. Ok they let one of them be a Guinea pig and then did it themselves once he didn't throw himelf into the trees.

Archived