Swingarm Bearing Issues

Acid

o.k folks here is the problem

I got new swing arm bushes fitted to my 89 Cr500 swingarm by my local honda dealer and I think they have been fitted wrong.

Here is my quick ms paint drawing of the swingarm and how they fitted them

Can some one please show me how they should be fitted (ive got the 89 Cr500 Workshop manual and it doesnt show how the bearings are fitted page 211 or 11-43).

top pict is how they fitted them and bottom one is how i think they should be fitted ?

swingarmbearings.jpg

colour key is

swingarm grey

needle bearings red

seals green

bushing is purple

Going to see them again tomorrow. :eusa_whistle:

Are you sure they are installed like that and you are not confusing the gap that is left for the seals. I can't see why a Honda dealer would not install bearings the right way around. You should have a gap on both sides to allow for the fitment of the dust seals.

What you really need to do is post up an actual picture of your swingarm showing the wrong fitment of your needle bearings.

:icon_salut:

If they've been fitted as the top pic then I'd have thought they're wrong.

Go back to them and "raise your concern" which is English for complaining :icon_salut:

Are you sure they are installed like that and you are not confusing the gap that is left for the seals. I can't see why a Honda dealer would not install bearings the right way around. You should have a gap on both sides to allow for the fitment of the dust seals.

What you really need to do is post up an actual picture of your swingarm showing the wrong fitment of your needle bearings.

:icon_salut:

yes that is how they are installed hence why i made my wonderful ms paint drawing to show the Pb elite

If they've been fitted as the top pic then I'd have thought they're wrong.

Go back to them and "raise your concern" which is English for complaining ;)

I did voice my concern Boris hence why i didn't pick them up. going to have a chat later with them.

I think they probably should be installed like your bottom drawing, but it'll probably make no difference in practice- the bearings are still in the arm and still providing support. If you're not happy, just ask them reinstall the bearings :eusa_dance:

If there are supposed to be tubular spacers between the inner races of the bearings in each leg of the swingarm and they've been missed out (not uncommon, I had an Aprilia swingarm that the spacer had been missed out when assembled at the factory..) then when you tighten up the swingarm spindle rather than pulling the inner races and spacers together to become one rigid assembly you'll push the inner races out of the bearings.

The spacers being missing would explain why the bearings have gone so far into the swingarm when they were fitted.

Heres a pic Millemille.This might help.

swingarm.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The item is Number 7 on the sheet.

8 = Cap Dust seal

21 = Bearing (22X28X20)

22 = Dust seal

23 = Dust seal (22X28X5)

I gather the swingarm was off the bike when you got it back and you could see the needle bearings side by side.? The bearings are both the same size, but i am sure the you install these (pressed in) 1 either side (inner & outer).If he has installed them like this then i would say he has installed both from the same side. Having said that the pic shows both on the same side.. I would take it back and get them to look at it.

Archived