Fuel Breather Catch Tanks

scrappy600

Hi peeps, just a quick enquiry i need to change the breather hoses that terminate just after the water pump into catch cans instead, as they will splash fuel straight onto the exhaust if they drip into the enclosed bellypan, my questions are, how did you re-route your breather pipes, how many in total are there to be re-routed (on most bikes) theres 2 coming out of the bottom of the tank on the 600rr (i know different orgs. have different requirments but i'd rather just do them all and know they're done) and can you route coolant/water and fuel into the same catch can or will the heat of the coolant/water cause fuel vapour to flash, never done it before so id rather do it right first time and know its done right.

Hi peeps, just a quick enquiry i need to change the breather hoses that terminate just after the water pump into catch cans instead, as they will splash fuel straight onto the exhaust if they drip into the enclosed bellypan, my questions are, how did you re-route your breather pipes, how many in total are there to be re-routed (on most bikes) theres 2 coming out of the bottom of the tank on the 600rr (i know different orgs. have different requirments but i'd rather just do them all and know they're done) and can you route coolant/water and fuel into the same catch can or will the heat of the coolant/water cause fuel vapour to flash, never done it before so id rather do it right first time and know its done right.

If there are 2 on the fuel tank they're likely to be running down from the filler surround, in which case I tend to just loop them. Caution though as one may be the tank breather in which case it needs to go into a 250ml plastic bottle or such. The loop scam works as a breather on some bikes, R1's don't seem to mind it.

As for the water separate bottle strapped just behind the back edge of the rad under the rad cap should do, if you can get away with it.

• 5 months later...

If there are 2 on the fuel tank they're likely to be running down from the filler surround, in which case I tend to just loop them. Caution though as one may be the tank breather in which case it needs to go into a 250ml plastic bottle or such. The loop scam works as a breather on some bikes, R1's don't seem to mind it.

As for the water separate bottle strapped just behind the back edge of the rad under the rad cap should do, if you can get away with it.

Sorry for the delay replying, cheers for the help Mark, worked a treat!

Cheers cibber, I saw that thread the other day alright, I had sought the advice of Hilton Hinks (fast as phuck irish short circuit racer, since retired) re this and he had said he always ran the tank breathers as per road, into the belly pan, so I just ran the rad overflow into a bottle and left the breathers as normal. Passed scrutiny anyway with no issues. Might look at it again for next season. The 07+ cbrs are a lot easier to mount bottles to with the central air duct, mine is a complete pain finding somewhere to mount the bottles.

Archived