Polishing Titanium

BenF125

I've just bought a new end can for my bike. This one. It's got "NOT FOR ROAD USE" marked on it and I'd like to remove it.

I've seen a method to polish it out of alumium cans but would I be able to use the same method on titanium? Its not shiney titanium and I'd rather not be left with a shiney bit where the marking was. :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

So it's basically the same as polishing it out of aluminium? I wasn't sure if it would work the same, with titanium being a harder metal.

Mine looks to be etched rather than stamped aswell, quite deep at one end too unfortunately. I'll give your method a go prior to fitting. Thanks for the advice.

My Remus can was etched with NOT FOR ROAD USE but handily it wasn't in plain view. Still ground it off though.

I second Zaks method. Grinding stone (carefully) followed by a flapwheel, then I re-grained the finish to blend it all in with scotchbrite.

After some deliberation, and reading Porks comments in the other thread, I've decided to leave it on. It'll always be obvious something was there, and the majority of coppers aren't stupid, they'll know what it said. But mainly I don't want to ruin the exhaust. I'll just stick aluminium tape over it for the MOT.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived