Removing Wheel Weights

TheGoat

Anyone know what the best way to remove wheel weights is whilst avoiding damage to the paint underneath, on the wheel?

i don't just want to go straight in with a screwdriver and lever the fuckers off.

Its only adhesive their held on with, Petrol on a rag placed over the weights for 5 mins or so should loosen that off enough to pry the weights off..rub off excess adhesive with petrol on a rag.

...i was thinking maybe heating them first. With a hairdryer or summit.

yep you could do that..the glue should soften for you to get your finger nail under it to lift it up.

I myself would use a stanley blade and carefully prize a corner up,gently working it underneath,then as chill says bit of petrol on the rag to clean excess glue up.

;)

Use a plastic bladed spattula form the kitchen draw, no one will know :icon_bounce:

Good advice, we use what looks like a white plastic chisel at work.

I tried a heat gun the other day and it worked a treat. You need to remove the weight first (carefully with a plastic spatula) leaving all that thick adhesive stuff behind. In the past I've used petrol, white spirit, brake cleaner, Mr Sheen and a lot of rubbing to then get this residue off but then I tried the heat gun method and it was sooooo much easier.

Archived