Gsxr 600 K1 Wont Start Problem

MJWHITT

Hi all

ive got a problem with my 600 k1.

The bike was fine until i decided it was time to take it for test after winter. It passed its test but when i picked it up the tester said that the kill switch was dodgy, I hit it and started the bike, he shrugged his shoulders and off i went. After a couple of weeks the battery was dead on the bike so i bought a new battery and noticed the problem was back.

I could turn it over with the switch on but the fuel pump would only prime 1 out 20 times ish of switching the kill switch on and off it was making a quiet beeping type noise. Now it wont start at all. Ive took every connector that matters off squirted it with stuff and put it back on. Ive had the fuel pump relay off and tested it and its fine. I checked every fuse. I get a fl light on the dash and CHEC

Ive not lived the fuel pump yet just wondered if anyone has had the same problem or can give me direction.

Oh before this happened not sure if it had anything to do with it but it had a bit of miss/ splutter type thing between 3500 to 8000 rpm. I just put this down to standing over the winter with an empty tank.

Thanks

1.)Battery low (under 12.7 volts)

2.)Fuse blown

3.)Side stand Switch

4.)Clutch switch

5.)Faulty kill switch

6.)Fuel Pump relay

Check these other ones as well mate.Test wires with multimeter,don't rely on "It looks ok" a tiny break is all it needs.

:thumbsup:

Could be dirty contacts in the ign switch. There is a 100ohm resistance that if the ecu doesn't "see" the resistance it will roll over but with out the fuel pump or coils getting a feed.

Only found this out when I took the key ign switch off to replace it with a toggle switch on the track bike.

Good luck fella!

Could be dirty contacts in the ign switch. There is a 100ohm resistance that if the ecu doesn't "see" the resistance it will roll over but with out the fuel pump or coils getting a feed.

Only found this out when I took the key ign switch off to replace it with a toggle switch on the track bike.

Good luck fella!

Thanks guys

All this electrical talk scares the hell out of me, got a mate coming over who knows about this electrical magic and is gonna help.

Ill go through all you have mentioned and post when i get it sorted.

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help people

After checking everything thats checkable we nailed it down to the ignition barrel or key.

Basically turn the key a little bit firmer when turning on and hey presto! its fine. The fuel pump comes in and the bike starts.

Maybe a worn key or what ever is in the barrel. Still needs sorting as it will catch me out when im at my most furthest from home!

Thanks again

Mark......

Can you strip the ignition barrel? My dad had to do this to mine; on the underside there are security torx bolts on my unsophisticated barrell...you might be able to strip and clean up all the connections etc and make good of it. Be carefull though because there are lots of small pins etc; I recal my dad leaving the key in while he took the inner part out to hold everything in place

It's worth a thought but it starts and goes ok at the min so I'm leaving as is. Least I know where to look when it gets worse. There's a good lock smith nearby so it could be a job for him.

Cheers

Archived