Lightweight Racing Batterys

drunkn munky

For those of you using these swanky lightweight battery's where have you mounted them? i know they hate heat so im a little reluctant to stick it under the seat where on a NC35 with SP1 pipes its gunna get hot.

For those of you using these swanky lightweight battery's where have you mounted them? i know they hate heat so im a little reluctant to stick it under the seat where on a NC35 with SP1 pipes its gunna get hot.

I have mine just in front of the dash, where the headlight would be on road bike. A friend has his under the seat, but on a plate so hot air doesn't travel from the engine/exhaust over the battery.

recently I was thinking if on top of the airbox would be good, I have space for it cause of my fuel cell, but will have to log temp there in running conditions..

Ronni

I think up front is going to be best then, ronni what gauge wire did you use from the battery to the starter solinoid?

I used 4 square milimeter wire, but I also replaced the solinoid with a 100A relay and the fusebox with two waterproof fusecasings (one for ign, one for waterpump). All this is mounted 5-8cm above the generator cover. I used the steering damper mount as the main earth for the battery and one of the screw terminals on the 100A relay as the main live feed take off

Ronni

That sounds like a neat little setup you got there ronni plus i have a electric water pump to wire in B), do you have any pics?

That sounds like a neat little setup you got there ronni plus i have a electric water pump to wire in :D, do you have any pics?

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/RonniB_photos/

take a look on one of the fairingless pics, lefthand side, there you see the main electrical components

DSC03761.jpg

- Battery is the box just behind the clutch lever

- Front head frame mount, there is the fusebox for the ignition system and dash (just in front of choke lever)

- Below frame mount is the 30A relay acting as ign switch together with the kill switch (to avoid bad/skinny connections in kill switch affecting running/performance)

- On the waterpump blanking plug sits the fusebox for the waterpump.

- Just behind the blue bottom radiator hose sits the 100A relay acting as starter solinoid.

I could have used the original honda parts, but the parts I used are all brand new, using modern waterproof housings and plated corrosionproof connector pins, and most of them are lighter aswell.

Parts can be had at either/or at vehicle wiring products (everything but fuseboxes, good pricing) or demon tweeks (fuseboxes, but not cheap).

Did you buy a racing battery (brand called racing battery), I would one of those, they look more sturdy and professionally made than the shrinkwrapped durbahn ones, plus screw terminals are WAY better than anderson plugs, which are of dubious quality (well they're american)

Ronni

Cheers ronni, good info pal

I opted for the durbahn battery in the in end, the "racing batteries" do look better made etc but i just had to have a bit of durbahn bling on the bike. I think there all much of same really.

Archived