Can Anyone Make Some Brake Pad Pins?

bignige

No, i'm not being a tight arse!

As far as i'm aware you have to buy a complete caliper to get the pins, believe me i've tried.

They seem a weird size too..

pins002.jpg

pins003.jpg

pins004.jpg

They have a 5mm allen key head.

Somewhere between 5 and 6 mm pin (i may have to invest in a micrometer)

The threaded bit wont actually go thru the 8mm size on my pro bolt gauge

got pins at the mo but the allen key end is pretty mullered

They look very similar to caliper pins in CBR600 steelie. The calipers are a two piston floating body type.

If they are the same, then they will be common to loads of bikes, like I say I have them on my '98 Steelie, they also appear on my '08 z750.

I'll take one out to measure up later. Can you sketch out all your sizes and post them up? I'm guessing the thread is M8 x 1.0 (i.e. metric fine series).

If you have to make some up, I would be tempted to get them made in stainless steel to combat the corrosion problem. Maybe the forum would like to comment on this, in terms of material suitability and advise a grade to use.

Don't bother buying a micrometer (unless you really want to), you can get an el cheapo 150mm digital vernier for about £20 or so, which will be much more useful in general than a mike.

They look very similar to caliper pins in CBR600 steelie. The calipers are a two piston floating body type.

If they are the same, then they will be common to loads of bikes, like I say I have them on my '98 Steelie, they also appear on my '08 z750.

I'll take one out to measure up later. Can you sketch out all your sizes and post them up? I'm guessing the thread is M8 x 1.0 (i.e. metric fine series).

If you have to make some up, I would be tempted to get them made in stainless steel to combat the corrosion problem. Maybe the forum would like to comment on this, in terms of material suitability and advise a grade to use.

Don't bother buying a micrometer (unless you really want to), you can get an el cheapo 150mm digital vernier for about £20 or so, which will be much more useful in general than a mike.

Vernier caliper was the word i was looking for when i typed micrometer!

I think the first stumbling block is the thread, the collar just after the thread is M8, i have a M8 x 1.25 die and my thread won't even go in.

Thanks for the reply.

Tis not the end of the world, coz i can bodge the old ones back but..

:lol:

Righto BN, got one in my hand now.

It's from a Honda CBR600 FW, 1998

59.8mm (probably 60mm nominal) overall length

5.8mm (I guess 6mm clearance) dia on the non threaded part

48.8mm length on non threaded part, so length of head is 11.0mm

Thread is M10 x 1.0, not M8 as I guessed. Still fine series though. If you measure the diameter across the threads (gently), you should get about 9.8 ~ 9.9mm

Thanks again for the info, i think it's a strange Italian design.

I've already had to dig deep into the Snap On to find my 15 + 18mm sockets to get the forks off.

I'd phone Pro-Bolt, they do Titanium ones and if you had to cut some Suzuki GSXR ones down it wouldn't be the end of the world. You can get Stainless pins for Dirt Bikes, they're fitted with an 8mm hex head so you can get a 6 sided socket on them for spinning them out in a hurry. I'm using these on the WEC Superstocker that I work with and trust me with the team making their own brake pads, I'm having them in and out a lot! :lol:

Yeah they were also on my old 1987 Cbr steelie. :D

Right royal pain when they chew up..They had a cap over the top of them which was a flat head screwdriver type,Then these pins were under those.

They corrode badly so get them in stainless if you can. :blink:

Measure the thread part, see if it's an M10 fine. If so, there's millions of them on ebay in various lengths, just do a search for 'stainless brake pin' or something similar, all about £6 each.

Righto BN, got one in my hand now.

It's from a Honda CBR600 FW, 1998

59.8mm (probably 60mm nominal) overall length

5.8mm (I guess 6mm clearance) dia on the non threaded part

48.8mm length on non threaded part, so length of head is 11.0mm

Thread is M10 x 1.0, not M8 as I guessed. Still fine series though. If you measure the diameter across the threads (gently), you should get about 9.8 ~ 9.9mm

Popped into my local Honda dealer today, i think your right, they should fit with just a little use of a junior hacksaw.

Thanks again to everyone.

Archived