Bike Wont Start.....

j0hnny

having a prob with the bike, gsxr 1000 k8, turn the key rev counter spins over an back, but that's it, no fue.l pump noise, nothin, have lights horn etc, gear indicator is showing " - " but it's in neutral, when in a gear this doesn't change, " chec" is showing on the dash, I'm thinkin something wrong with kill switch, side stand or clutch sensors? anyone seen this before? thanks in advance,

Dropped it at all, had a similar problem with my 675. It was the level cutout switch (the emergency cut out that kills the engine if you flip the bike)

I found a couple of causes:

Battery is low - charge it up or replace it

A servo is missing or stopped working for the side stand cut out

Your kill switch is "off"

1.)Battery low (under 12.7 volts)

2.)Fuse blown

3.)Side stand Switch

4.)Clutch switch

5.)Faulty kill switch

6.)Fuel Pump relay

Make sure the bike is in neutral by getting it in first then back in neutral by rocking it back and forth.Don't rely on just the light.

Check all of the connections (inc ECU).Side stand seems to be a common fault on these so start with that.Visually check to see it is working properly by getting a mate to hold the bike while you look (or use paddock stand ect). Take it off and clean it all up making sure good contacts.

Disconnect the fuel pump relay and put a test light across terminals power and ground, they have numbers but i dont know what they are, see if you get anything. you will be checking to see if the ECU is commanding the fuel pump relay to energize and prime the pump when the key is first turned on.

You could do a jumper direct on the fuel pump to see if it powers up. Live & earth direct to the pump. if it dont work its a faulty pump. Only touch it on to see if it works DONT hold it on there.

Suzuki's also have a low oil sensor that can cause an engine to not start if there isn't enough oil.

Make sure you have at least 2 gallons of fuel in it as well.

Test all connections with a multimeter..

leave the battery disconnected for at least 5 minutes. This will allow the system to go through a "reset cycle".

There you go..Start with Number 1. :D

Archived