Recommend Me A Pillar Drill...

Ringding

Hello,

In my rejuvenated garage I've made space for a pillar drill. It is something that won't get heavy use but I always find a few occaisions each year when it would be very useful to ahve one (making brackets, drilling out seized pins etc.). Machine Mart sell cheap Clarkes ones but I don't want to buy one if they are no good. I'd rather spend a bit more (or get a better one second hand) to ensure I have the right tool.

Any recommendations for a good pillar drill for occaisional light use?

Cheers.

Budget is............? A old rule with machine tools is bigger is always better. No matter how big the machine you quickly find it's limits.

oldy but a goody

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meddings-Pillar-Dril...=item35b1afef60

or just go the whole hog

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CLARKE-6-SPEED-T...=item5d2e52e6d5

or completely over indulge/capitalise

http://www.warco.co.uk/WMT500-Combined-Met...1B382B787.aspx#

If it were me, I'd go for an older ex "industrial" ie meddings, etc. Only pain is a lot are 3 phase. If its only occasional "light" use, then it shouldn't make a lot of difference. It will all depend on your budget.

Paul

ps try and get one with a morse taper No 2, (or larger), you can then knock out the drill chuck, and use taper sleeve drills, always handy for those "one off large holes" that occasionally need doing!

Oh yeah, budget. Can only really afford ~£150.

I have access to a lathe and mill at work so can't justify buying one of those combined machines (no matter how much I want one!).

So Meddings is a good make to keep an eye out for on Ebay/TradeIt etc? One of my problems has been not knowing what is a good make to try and get.

Cool! Thanks.

Where do you work?

Got a clarke one in my garage, it does the job nicely, bought it when they had a VAT free offer, so that saved some pennies. If you really need accuracy you want a mill. Agree with the MT2 taper comment lot more choice of better chucks and drill bit sizes when they are too big to go in a chuck.

My GF bought a pillar drill from Lidl for about £50. It is good enough for use in a garage (it has now found itself in my garage after she used it once in a year) I dont use it for anything bigger than 12mm, but then I have a cnc machine at work that I use if it needs a little bit of oomph. The table isnt brilliant and maybe a little flimsy but it has done everything I want it to at home, but it doesnt take up much room and was cheap.

have a look online for axminster tools they have a good range and everything is high quality and they will deliver

I have a cheap bench top pillardrill that you can have, if you pick it up.

It isn't great quality, but might serve to let you know what it is you require from a better quality one.

Where are you?

I'm quite lucky having the work stuff to use if I need it so I guess I don't need anything too heavy duty.

Thanks for the offer billybones, I'm just north of Bristol.

I'm quite lucky having the work stuff to use if I need it so I guess I don't need anything too heavy duty.

Thanks for the offer billybones, I'm just north of Bristol.

Might be a bit difficult then.

I do have relatives in Bristol, and my dad makes it down there reasonably often.

Unless anyone fancies a PB relay?

Where abouts are you? I have a mate who travels the country a fair bit for work.

Where abouts are you? I have a mate who travels the country a fair bit for work.

just outside Middlesbrough.

I will try to take a pic tonight. We might be trying to organise transport for something that falls short of what you require.

I stress it is only a cheap belt driven bench top drill.

Archived