Suspension Settings For Front Forks - Need Help!

Miner

Hi folks, long time reader but few posts... having some issues with the setting of my front suspension on my CBR600FSport. Bear with me as this need some explaining to make sense of it (to me!)

Fitted an Ohlins shock a couple of years ago I got from ebay cheap and got it serviced and that was mint but I was finding the front too soft for my 16 stone in kit frame so I had the front re-sprung to suit my weight and the rear and the cartidges stripped and re-built.

Guy who did it told me he'd set it all back to standard but it always felt like the front wanted to tuck on bumpy bends. Turns out the comp was still half turn from full but the rebound was bact to std. Long story short it gubbed my tyre and I re-set it to standard to try and find a setting. Now trying to bottom it out this year... my efforts so far are:

Comp and rebound standard it feels much better but a bit bouncy.

1/4 turn rebound it feels better but jiggly

1/4 turn comp and rebound it feels better but jiggly still

1/2 turn rebound and 1/4 comp it feels firmer but a bit off balance

1/2 turn rebound and comp it feels better and firmer but still a bit jiggly but slower

All settings feel a little out of sorts compared to the rear (is it the ohlins effect?). Just put a new pair of Pilot Power 2CT's on which I'd like to melt, not wear badly through poor settings.

Need help folks so advice appreciated... I'm an engineer and understand the need to match the spring and damping rates but sh*t in practice for my suspension. Is there a general rule of thumb for going up to stiffer springs? Is there a standard ratio of comp and rebound adjustment for stock suspension?

I'm no expert but I'd start with setting your sag before hammering the damping settings.

Set the sag right first.

Good starting point for every bike in the known universe is comp damping at 50% from maximum, and rebound damping at 75% of maximum.

Fact...

Cheers folks... going to have another play on the way home, a bit more rebound to see how it feels but deffo considering re-visiting my static sag. Suspension was done by the guy who used to do Ducati Glasgow and it was 3yrs ago... think he's gone. Meant to ask Avuss when I was in getting tyres last week, as they do KTM and Aprillia (WP and Ohlins).

Anyone know of suspension gurus near Glasgow?

Anyone know of suspension gurus near Glasgow?

+1 on this...mine feels like its rock solid and causing the bike to skip across the bumps on the way into corners, confidence inspiring it is not...

+1 on this...mine feels like its rock solid and causing the bike to skip across the bumps on the way into corners, confidence inspiring it is not...

forks hard

tendency to shock in the steering

front wheel bounces when braking due to hydraulic stop blocking

uncomfortable

Cause

air chamber too small

Solution

decrease the oil level in small steps of 5 to 10 mm

:angry:

Set the sag right first.

Good starting point for every bike in the known universe is comp damping at 50% from maximum, and rebound damping at 75% of maximum.

Fact...

Yip +1

Dont forget RIDER SAG as well.

Rider sag = The amount the bike drops when you sit on it.

Static Sag = How much the bikes weight acts on the rear suspension or how much you can lift the bike rear without the rider on it before it tops out

Rider sag around 30-40mm

Static sag around 5-10mm

The more rider sag you have, the softer the bike suspension will be. :angry:

forks hard

tendency to shock in the steering

front wheel bounces when braking due to hydraulic stop blocking

uncomfortable

Cause

air chamber too small

Solution

decrease the oil level in small steps of 5 to 10 mm

:D

Cheers, will have a look but might still need a grown up

For the OP, I was speaking to some mates at work who reccomend the guy that works out of Ducati Glasgow but I think he is back out with various race teams, might be worth a ring though

Click

Cheers BA, that's a good link. Moose - that's who did mine first time round, I thought he had been punted from Ducati Glasgow and went to Avuss for a while... But he may be back. A few phone calls are in order me thinks. Deffo knows his stuff, did my for and shock service but trying to pin him down is like herding cats!

Moose - just noticed the link, that's a different guy from who did mine... The guy who did mine clearly has moved on. I've emailed Ducati Glasgow about his services, looks quite good. Guy who runs DG is a bit of a track fiend as well so he's unlikely to hire a numpty. :eusa_whistle:

Got this back from Ducati Glasgow... Looks like Bob Grant for me:

"Unfortunately due to Stewart's commitments to Moto 2 and Scott Redding he has decided not to continue with MPG.

Might we suggest you try Bob Grant who is based at Knockhill, he is another suspension guru and gets a fantastic name for the work he does."

• 2 months later...

A wee update... Not got round to getting up there cos I've been working away. Had settled on 3/4turn from mid +ve on the comp and same but 1/2 a turn on the rebound. Was ok but felt jiggly which made me think of my mates old Nova GTE with -60mm springs and std shocks. So on Sat I dialled in another ring of pre-load to make it two showing... What a difference! So much better, now more stable over bumps as its not rebounding as far and unloading and twitching. Bike feels a bit flightier so maybe try a little less rebound... Either that it was the missing confidence to wring its neck and the 15/48 gearing! Getting there... Makes sense if you follow the guides and take it logically and feel your way through.

Bike is a 2001 FS1 with Ohlins shock set to std settings, forget what ride height and preload. Front is std Showa cartidges stripped and rebuilt when Ohlins springs went in, rate to match rear spring and rider 15-16 stone kitted up.

Archived