Oil 15w50 in UK

meenie

I've been registered here for a while (and a subscriber!) but I think I have made a mistake!

I have accidentally bought some 15w50 Mobil 1 4T fully synthetic oil and not sure if I should/can use it in my 2005/55 R1. I know oil is very subjective but basically would like to know if I've wasted my money by not looking properly or can it be used in my engine.

Now remember that I live in the UK but it does not see cold weather (I'm not a fair weather rider, I have a problem that is exacerbated by the cold, honest!).

I know PB ran an oil article ages ago but can't remember the issue number.

You could A: ignore it, it'll probably be OK, although cold starting is where you'd notice it most, B: keep it until your bike is older and leaky, when you'll appreciate its slightly stodgier properties, C: Do a swap with somebody with an aircooled Ducati, like the one superdunc's just bought or fueline's got already, D: pour a load of it under the annoying neighbours car, just so they get all panicy about an oil leak.

If its the bike oil you shouldn't have a problem with it , there is a chart in the workshop manual showing what oils are suitable for certain climates , so long as your not using it in sub zero temperatures you should be ok

if its the car oil it may have friction modifying additives that could lead to clutch slippage , in which case Lorenzo's options C and D qualify

if its marked JASO MA its ok ,

If its the bike oil you shouldn't have a problem with it , there is a chart in the workshop manual showing what oils are suitable for certain climates , so long as your not using it in sub zero temperatures you should be ok

if its the car oil it may have friction modifying additives that could lead to clutch slippage , in which case Lorenzo's options C and D qualify

if its marked JASO MA its ok ,

This is the proper bike stuff. Wasn't that cheap either. I was just concerned about the higher number and it getting around the oil ways etc. I don't use it in temps less than around 5°c anyway so not worried about the 15w (-10°c if I remember correctly). That will teach me to use my glasses!

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you've got a total-loss yamaha exup engine that is.

But you wouldn't be using fully synth in it anyway

worth remembering that oil, litres used per mile ridden, is pretty cheap stuff B)

You clearly don't own a Triumph. :lol:

Archived