home-made tools

kanerdog1x1

iv got a thing for home made tools, some may remember my brake piston helper thingy, my next tool is a spring compressor for usd forks so spring/cartridge out is a one man job.

pots010.jpg

pots017.jpg

just need to drop it off with the zinc plating man tomorrow, then assemble it.

anybody else made anything interesting?

Very posh fork seal installing tool

image025h.jpg

bearing installer / remover and brake calliper groove cleaning tool

image017lkv.jpg

not as posh but do the job just fine :eusa_whistle:

iv got a thing for home made tools, some may remember my brake piston helper thingy, my next tool is a spring compressor for usd forks so spring/cartridge out is a one man job.

just need to drop it off with the zinc plating man tomorrow, then assemble it.

anybody else made anything interesting?

I was thinking of making fork spring compressing tool after reading the pb mag but was going to use some 25mm pipe inside of 35mm pipe and weld on the required lugs like yours.

I've an old fork stantion off my ZX7R that was wonky. It's the perfect extention on the end of a breaker bar and it was cheap too. Try to break into my garage and I'll wop you round the swede with it. Multi-purpose these fork legs....

My oh made a spring puller :angry: and I've made a drift from some old steel handlebars.

dsc4608c.jpg

Oil cleaner removal socket for my xl125. Made wishing I had a bench grinder, instead using an angle grinder in one hand and holding the socket in the other being very careful not to remove any fingers.

Cut down an old M8 box spanner, added a handle and use it with a Suzuki oil cooled engine tappet adjuster, so you can alter the gap and nip the locknut up with one hand while the other hand is using the feeler gauge, a lot easier to do.

Tappet2.jpg

Home made "mityac" only need a couple of squeezes on the trigger before it starts sucking

oldphotos031.jpg

i like.

got the parts back from the zinc'ers this evening. and reassembled them. tidy.

forksd005.jpg

now i need to try them out....

• 2 months later...

This is not just a front axle hex key thingie or £10 not spent at halfrauds. Oh no, this is 2 magic hours on the big old bridgeport at college, measuring, making swarf and not thinking about the ex, the bills or the desk job. Me satisfied? Hell yeah.

IMG00156-20110623-2210.jpg

bought a cheap controller board off eblag then spent a bit more on bits to make it work propperly, found the plans in my head, turns out i'm good at designing stuff like this and building it. i do however have plans for a controller board that i will be building as soon as i remember where i put them.

• 2 months later...

i need to see more of these cnc thingies.....

anyhoo, i made this today, for checking the alignment of the rear axle. shame on the manufacturers for not making the markings accurate.

tension003.jpg

tension002.jpg

tension001.jpg

:eusa_dance:

doesnt work on my ducati tho :eusa_think:

anyhoo, i made this today, for checking the alignment of the rear axle. shame on the manufacturers for not making the markings accurate.

pics

I'm going to make the fuck out of one of those on tuesday, what a good idea!

I'm going to make the fuck out of one of those on tuesday, what a good idea!

Me to, what a cracking idea!!!!

kanderdo1x1, would you/have you thought about knocking up a few of them chain aligning thingys?

I bet there is a few folk intrested in buying one, me included...

• 2 months later...

Here's my latest creation...

Whilst fiddling in the Man Cave trying to set the Prilla to factory track settings I didn't have c spanner to fit the rear ohlins.

So I found a old Sebac one I got with a set of shocks for my old RS250 in 1988 and the Hagon one I got for the TDM. I made the Sebac one fit the shock by filing the 'C' to fit the Ohlins but my gorilla hands weren't strong enough to turn it so I bolted on the Hagon one and with a bab of Loctite hey presto one Ohlins C spanner!!

IMAG0370.jpg

Top bodging skills....the only homemade tool in my garage is when I step in there, well I presume im homemade :icon_blackeye:

Kaner, that spring compressor is awesome. I'm actually waiting on a friend for a load of box section so I can knock one up (though your welding will put mine to shame!).

Since dong the Gixer's forks with ratchet straps, I want the proper tool. What size box section you using?

tension001.jpg

+1,000,000

yeah I'd be interested in buying one of those from you.

also, I see you have the Gilles TCA style chain adjusters, I had some of the previous style ones on the R1 and they were grrrrrrreat. I'm looking at getting some TCA ones for the k6 Thou, any comments on yours good or bad?

Many tip tools.

00001-12.jpg

Sheetmetal rollers.

00002-8.jpg

Ickle guillotine.

00001-8.jpg

There are a plethora of others that I don't have pictures of. From clutch lock up tools, suspension adjustment/pulling apart tools, valve spring compressors for pommy bikes, chain riveters. Many more. :)

Archived