98 R1 clutch problems

lewis203

After crashing my R1 the clutch pull lever down at the side of the engine fell off because the clip holding it on must of came off in the crash. But after refiting it in loads of different positions I can't get the clutch to disengage. I get what feels like the normal resistance at the clutch lever when I pull it in but the clutch is not disengaged.

Any ideas what to do?

How long has the bike been sitting after the crash? If you can feel resistance at the lever, same as normal etc, then you're pulling against the springs, which is what you want to happen. If it's been sat for a good period of time, a good 3 or 4 months at least, then it's fairly likely that the plates have just seized together and it's nothing related to your crash at all. Put the front wheel up against a wall, pull the clutch in, rev it to about 4000 and then dink it into gear, see if it frees the clutch up.

After crashing my R1 the clutch pull lever down at the side of the engine fell off because the clip holding it on must of came off in the crash. But after refiting it in loads of different positions I can't get the clutch to disengage. I get what feels like the normal resistance at the clutch lever when I pull it in but the clutch is not disengaged.

Any ideas what to do?

at a guess it sounds to me like the clutch release arm is not in the right place to disengage the clutch.

So you're pulling against the spring but the position of the release arm is not correct and consequently there isn't enough 'pull' to open the clutch up.

There is a dot on the bottom of the clutch cable holder, that needs to be aligned with the arrow on the bottom of the clutch casing, in order for the clutch release mechanism to work properly.

it also might be worth popping off the clutch cover and check the clutch release arm shaft splines

Cheers for the help guys. Turns out the plates were seized and a good push with the bike in gear broke them free ;) Monkey! I did think I wasn't getting enough 'pull' at first and the dot has been ground off in the crash but I think it's set right now judging from pictures I've seen.

Now I just need some oil and I'm ready to start it up again.

Archived