charging problems on my '81 cb 900 custom

Mahatma

Hi.Just a desperate attempt at sme answers:My bike starts charging normal after starting it,but after a minute or two,it stops charging when in neutral.Funny thing is that when in gear,and under load it apears that the headlights gets stronger suggesting it charges noirmal,but it dims when lifting the gass (not engaging clutch),or reving in neutral or clutch engaged.Anyone has an hypothesis if it's the regulator or the charger?Think I'm just gonna have to get both new,but it will just have to be new used parts,so no guarrantees.

Thanks in advance:)

Reg/reg on its last legs is my guess. Check the charge at the battery when it's off (12.5ish), then when it's running on tick over (13Vish), then when it's being revved (13.5Vish, but not getting any higher when it's being revved right up to the top).

to add: it shouldnt exceed 14.5 V, at least thats what I was told when I had regulator problems with my SV

you maaaay need a new battery, if its been cooking with all the unregulated power going into it, but if you have only just started having the problem then it will probably be ok :icon_blackeye:

I wouldn't get too hung up on exact figure like 14.5v, but what you don't want is for your voltage to keep just going up and up, you want it to hit a certain level then plateau out as you rev it.

Thanks for replies.Have checked with a voltmeter.When starting,it reads around 14.3 when spinning around 2-3000.It stays there when revved higher.But after a minute or two it just goes back to around 12.5 as it is when the battery is fully charged,which indicates to me that it stops charging.

Elsewhere I had a reply that it might be the stator having a break in the coil functions normally until it gets warm and expands,and then the break in the wire causes it to stop working.Does that seem plausible?Where would you start:regulator or stator?

The strange thing is that it seems to charge under load...

Maybe I should just skip the old barge and get myself a viffer and mod it into a sportbike.Have an'86 modell for sale-american version which I've always wanted-up the road.Thanks in advance:)

Archived