paging R1 enthusiasts, please help!

zigzag

Hi peeps, a young fella at work treated himself with a ´98 Yamaha R1 (Red/white one, immaculate condition (or so it seems)) for his 18th b-day. He got it as "parts in a box" and the line "there is a funny noise somewhere in the engine". He found the error (waterpump), rebuilt the bike and would be one happy bunny if there wasn´t this little problem: when trying to hook 5th gear, the gearbox will sometimes play ball, but sometimes the gear takes some time to engage, then "clonks" home or disengages again. Once it´s in 5th it runs fine, only to start singing a whine in sixth.

Now my first idea was to tell him to check the gearlinkage positioning on the gear shaft. I once had mine set one tooth to far up and from 4th gear on I had great difficulties to shift properly.

Or is his gearbox fucked?

Input from those in the know is welcome and appreciated!

:eusa_dance:

R1 gearboxes are troublesome if abused (usually by cack handed wheelies). Most common problem is problems selecting 2nd or 3rd or jumping out when thrashed. Personally not heard of trouble with 5th or 6th.

If it's not selecting properly I'd suspect a bent selector fork or maybe worn dogs on the gear(s) itself.

Another (rarer) problem is the selector drum can break and then can't guide the appropriate selector fork onto the required gear.

I'm afraid if it's not something simple then the only way to find out is to get inside the motor.

Good luck.

R1 gearboxes are troublesome if abused (usually by cack handed wheelies). Most common problem is problems selecting 2nd or 3rd or jumping out when thrashed. Personally not heard of trouble with 5th or 6th.

If it's not selecting properly I'd suspect a bent selector fork or maybe worn dogs on the gear(s) itself.

Another (rarer) problem is the selector drum can break and then can't guide the appropriate selector fork onto the required gear.

I'm afraid if it's not something simple then the only way to find out is to get inside the motor.

Good luck.

Cheers for that, bent selector fork is one route of thinking here.

Gears heve been eyed over during the rebuild (his father is an ace on yam engines) and nothing was worried about. Seems it all has to come out again....

Cheers for that, bent selector fork is one route of thinking here.

Gears heve been eyed over during the rebuild (his father is an ace on yam engines) and nothing was worried about. Seems it all has to come out again....

Sadly Berndt, I've gotta agree with the above. While you're in there doing the fork I'd replace as may of the dogged gears as poss. You visiting either of the 24Hr's this year? I'll PM you my mobby if you are.

You visiting either of the 24Hr's this year? I'll PM you my mobby if you are.

Is there no end to this mans kindness? That is PB, right there.

Went back in to correct spazzy spelling.

Is there no end to this mans kindness? That is PB, right there.

Went back in to correct spazzy spelling.

Trick is I know Berndt. Or Burnthecook as he's known in Phase One circles. We lobbed him into catering for 15 people last time he came along to a race meet.

Could be that I've got alterior motives :eusa_dance:<_<

Trick is I know Berndt. Or Burnthecook as he's known in Phase One circles. We lobbed him into catering for 15 people last time he came along to a race meet.

Could be that I've got alterior motives :eusa_think::owned:

I´ve seen that one coming... :ph34r:

Did I tell you Pasta Romana is my favourite ? :eusa_whistle:

"Darling, would you please move house and pay the bills while I´m out playing with the endurance guys again?"

She´d kill me. Twice. With fire.

Hey Bernd

as others have said, any problems tend to be with 2nd & 3rd gears - I've not heard of 5th/6th being a problem.

You can check the gearchange mechanism with the engine in the frame - it's pretty straightforward:

remove the linkage rod, remove front sprocket cover, undo the gear knuckle and you can then remove the gearchange cover and check that.

you can then check the mechanism and the pins on the end of the selector drum

But from then on in.... it gets tricky - ask me how I know? :rolleyes:

To access the transmission shafts and the gearchange selector forks and drum, I'm afraid it's an engine-out job. The clutch and rotor [flywheel] have to come out, along with the oil/water pump, to enable the crankcases to be split.

you or your friend might want to have a look here http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17440 [start at page 4] which details what's involved.

If your friend needs some gears, I may be able to help as I have a spare gearbox - although 2nd/3rd gears are no use, all the otthers were fine

good luck and if you need any help then feel free to PM me

Hey Bernd

as others have said, any problems tend to be with 2nd & 3rd gears - I've not heard of 5th/6th being a problem.

You can check the gearchange mechanism with the engine in the frame - it's pretty straightforward:

remove the linkage rod, remove front sprocket cover, undo the gear knuckle and you can then remove the gearchange cover and check that.

you can then check the mechanism and the pins on the end of the selector drum

But from then on in.... it gets tricky - ask me how I know? :lol:

To access the transmission shafts and the gearchange selector forks and drum, I'm afraid it's an engine-out job. The clutch and rotor [flywheel] have to come out, along with the oil/water pump, to enable the crankcases to be split.

you or your friend might want to have a look here http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17440 [start at page 4] which details what's involved.

If your friend needs some gears, I may be able to help as I have a spare gearbox - although 2nd/3rd gears are no use, all the otthers were fine

good luck and if you need any help then feel free to PM me

:eusa_whistle:

I will pass that on, you Sir rock, thanks a lot.

I love this place

;)

Hi peeps, a young fella at work treated himself with a ´98 Yamaha R1 (Red/white one, immaculate condition (or so it seems)) for his 18th b-day. He got it as "parts in a box" and the line "there is a funny noise somewhere in the engine". He found the error (waterpump), rebuilt the bike and would be one happy bunny if there wasn´t this little problem: when trying to hook 5th gear, the gearbox will sometimes play ball, but sometimes the gear takes some time to engage, then "clonks" home or disengages again. Once it´s in 5th it runs fine, only to start singing a whine in sixth.

Now my first idea was to tell him to check the gearlinkage positioning on the gear shaft. I once had mine set one tooth to far up and from 4th gear on I had great difficulties to shift properly.

Or is his gearbox fucked?

Input from those in the know is welcome and appreciated!

He's got an R1 at 18?! How the fuck?!

Restricted to 33bhp? :eusa_think:

Think might be based in Germanshire?

Both spot on!

Restriction will be history soon, though since he rode his TZR 125 with 33PS since he was 16.... :eusa_whistle:

Both spot on!

Restriction will be history soon, though since he rode his TZR 125 with 33PS since he was 16.... :eusa_dance:

I thought I was the bollocks when I got mine at 23. 18!

Archived