Rattley pads

Annaz

I've developed a rattle coming from the front pads on my bike. It's an R1 4xv front end. One of the discs is very slightly warped but not enough to notice while braking. The holes where the pad pins go through are slightly oval so there's some slack there. The noise is definately coming from the pads and I'm concerned that this will only get worse. I'm thinking that sooner or later I'll need new callipers but I'm concerned in the short term whether it's dangerous to ride. The chattering is only very slight and stops as soon as the brakes are applied.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated, especially as warm dry weather is on the cards ;)

Cheers

mick

Springy plates on the back lost their springiness? Either you won't die. Well you might, but it won't be your brakes fault.

check the anti-rattle shims that fit on the rear of the calipers, under the pad pins. There's a [very faint, easy to miss] arrow on them, which should be pointing 'up'.

if they're not fitted properly, they can cause the pads to rattle. 'Cos they is the anti-rattle shims, innit? an' ting

I've just had to replace the calipers on my R1 for exactly the same problem. The calipers had done over 50K miles and the slot that the pads fit into had 'opened up' and there were grooves at each end, this was allowing too much pad movement.

I've just had to replace the calipers on my R1 for exactly the same problem. The calipers had done over 50K miles and the slot that the pads fit into had 'opened up' and there were grooves at each end, this was allowing too much pad movement.

I think I'm heading in the same direction :icon_salut:

Monkey! I spotted that in the old haynes manual. You're right it is faint, I missed it first time round!

Springy plates on the back lost their springiness? Either you won't die. Well you might, but it won't be your brakes fault.

Tried this at the weekend, bending the springy things to allow more springyness, and by jingo it's worked :) . Adjusted the head bearings for the second time too, hopefully that'll be it for a while :lol:

Tried this at the weekend, bending the springy things to allow more springyness, and by jingo it's worked :) . Adjusted the head bearings for the second time too, hopefully that'll be it for a while :lol:

This has proven it once and for all: I am amazing.

Thankyou.

Archived