Tyre valve

szrdave

I had a pair of tyres fitted recently and they didn't replace the valves, just removed the core and put it back in afterwards.

I've since gone to check the tyre pressures and in the front wheel the 'pin' that releases the valve is sitting a bit far down meaning my tyre pressure gauge can't depress it to get a reading.

Is fitting a new valve inner likely to cure the problem? Or is the valve fubar'ed?

What kind of half arsed garage doesn`t bother changing the valves?? Standard rubber valves??

I know this sounds a bit sad but the valve cores are supposed to be torqued up to 4.5 Nm I think, which is fuck all, and if I saw some tit wanging my valve core back in I`d not be happy.

Either way, sounds like they`ve picked up the wrong valve core and stuck in your valve, some vary you see. Take it back and get them to fit new valves FOC.

Well I got the tyres fitted at a place I used to work, £20 for fitting the tyres and an MOT plus I used the facilities there to fit a new shock so I certainly won't be going back moaning!!

Plus as I'm so damn slow it was past 5 by the time I was done which is when everyone normally goes home on a saturday, and the front tyre still had to be changed so I can understand why the complete valve didn't get replaced.

I think I'll stop by a Tippetts tomorrow and ask them to check the pressure, then pull the wheel off once I've got a new bike stand and get a new valve put in. It's a pain in the arse but less so than a flat tyre or a valve letting go while riding :)

It's worth trying a new valve core before you take the tyre off again

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165562

You need the tool as well, it is built into some metal valve caps

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165648

You will get these for pence if you go to your local motor factor rather than Halfords, I just used these images to demonstrate what you need.

a bit cheap of them not to replace the valve stem and core, used to get a core extractor as part of the pressure guage but seeing as everything is digitised crap nowadays thats ooot the windae..local car shop should do you an extractor and a set of valve cores for a couple of quid.

Get a metal valve cap from a bicycle shop - does the job for changing valve cores

I can send you a new valve if you want, got a spare one hanging around somewhere - then you can either fit the valve or change the core.

If you want to change the valve yourself, I've also got a valve puller.....

Thanks for the offer!

I'm hoping my local Honda dealer will put a new one in foc if I ask nicely though. I've spent enough on bloody CBR600 cam chain tensioners there in the past!!

Archived