No Go

ferg

Just to check I'm thinking things through correctly I have a CG 125 which isn't starting. My brother rode abused it for a year or so and now I've got it back to sell it, not that it ever left the family garage....

Anyway, it's a kick only model and the battery is flat. Can anyone confirm that it doesn't have to be charged for the beastie to start? In my head there's no reason for it not to but...

I've put fresh fuel in and drained the older stuff and carb out. There's also a fresh plug in as well but I've older plugs that do work to switch around too.

So it did run a bit a few months back but only on the choke.

Now it wont catch at all. Through as much kicking or bump starting as you want.

There is a lovely bright consistent spark when you check the plug.

I've tried Bannoffe's heating up the plug idea and it did come closer to 'almost catching' but it still didn't.

So air and fuel being the two normal avenues of detection... can some one guide me a bit better before I rip the carb off for a look?

The plug doesn't look that wet so would I be right in thinking that fuel may not actually be getting in to the combustion cycle? (My thought process being that it's not being burnt so why else would the plug be dry?) Hence my gie for whipping the carb off! :thumbsup:

So carb off is the right way to go?

Yep, pound to a pinch it's all gummed up, strip it down and use carb cleaner too clean it out and soak/blow the jets clean

You could try dropping a little fuel or acetone down the spark plug hole and encouraging it that way.

Can of easy start will tell you where your problem is, if not fix it. Give it a good dose, if it runs for 30 secs then dies then you've got no fuel going in, something in the carb, prob jets but could be all sorts. If it runs indefinately so long as you're revving it up a fair bit, but dies when you let it settle then your pilot jets blocked (90% certain it'll be this, they're tiny and easy to block). If it doesn't run at all then it's something else (no shit).

I'd say the running jets blocked - clean the carb.

You need the battery in though to complete the circuit ... get some motorcycle jump leads from Halfords (they're about £5) and connect it to another 12v battery (as long as the bike has a 12v system). Although it should run with a flat battery it helps to have power already there so the plug sparks a bit better

Archived