r1 electrical issues

smobytoe

on a blast on saturday my rev counter started going from 0 to 7000rpm. while i was moving....bad sign. so i stopped and could smell the battery, it was leaking....bad bad bad. got back to perth and the battery was doing its best to go on fire. the thing was whistling as it was boiling itself. i got a new bat but it is over charging. will a new generator sort this? help please!

Mine's done that before too. Twas indeed the reg rec.

You can always quickly check the generator output while changing the reg rec, but I reckon it'll be ok.

At first the rec was fine but as soon as the new bat went in the rec blew. so i had a spare and that one got cooked too! its stressing my bank account and my brain! :)

If battery is over charging then as mentioned I'd be looking at the reg/rectifier more than the generator. I had a generator burn out on my 5pw but that resulted in no charging at all.

I think the rev counter 0-7000 thing may be unrelated. Thats a fault code. Exup I think or mybe your throttle position sensor. Can't remember which one. I'll have to go and check.

If your rev counter displays 0rpm for 3 seconds, then 7000rpm for 2.5 secs then engine rpm for 3 secs and so fourth your exup valve needs attention. Most likely seized, especially if the bike has been laid up for some time.

hey bob,

the exup has just been stripped and rebuilt and it was fine. the bike was running real good until the electrical gremlin kicked off! i will check the servo is working bob. hopefully i will get to the bottom of this! <_<

also check your fuel level sender under the tank is connected properly - if not, that will give a tacho error code of 7 or 8k rpm

on the 4xv model the tacho will show error codes for the fuel level sender, exup and, I think, the TPS

off the top of my head

Throttle position sensor 3000

speed sensor 4000

exup 7000

fuel sender 8000

overcharging points to reg/rec

thank you for the help. i am gonna go an tackle it again the day. will post with how i am getting on. :)

bob was right. stripped the exup motor/servo and the teeth have stripped off. new regulator in the post and new battery fitted. can anyone help me with an exup servo? :tacheemoticonwh7:

Good to hear you've got to the bottom of it :tacheemoticonwh7:

Soz mate not got an exup I don't think else you could have had it. No help I know.

its cool bob, i got one for 32 bucks so not too bad. the cost of the rec, bat and tyre last month punished me tho! hope things are going better for you bro! :lol:

Unless I~m being dim, zou~ve not said which year.

I have an exup valve from a 5pw 02 03 spare should it be needed later.

For reg rec check start it connect multimeter accross the batterz set to 20 volts dc, on tickover it should read about 13 volts, same as batt without engine running, once revved to 4000 rpm should say 14 / 15 volts.

But before that trz to see whz it has failed. Simple age kills off the regulator rectifier as it has a hard job to do. But if te generator windings have a serious problem connecting a new component could hurt the enterttainments budget.

Its not as magical as it sounds.... windings have 3 parts thez must not touch each other. Check bz setting meter to ohms / resistance put leads accross the generator output leads in pairs. With engine and ign off. should saz 1, this is infinite resistance, this is good, if it was not 1 it is measuring something and it shouldnt be able to as the wound up wires should not be touching one another.

Zou can do the same thing with continuity / checking to see if the circuit is continuous, a loop. set meter to the beeper. put one meter probe on each of te 3 metal prongs inside the block connector / its the one with 3 white or zellow covered thicker wires that goes into the reg rec/ other probe to earth either engine or batterz negative post / there should be no beeps if its good.

Now set meter to ac volts, a high setting expect to deal with 100 to 200 volts so a higher than this setting. connect probe accross windings block connector terminal and earth nb onlz one metal pin and earth at a time connection accross pins with eng running could cause damage and spiky hair. Have rr connector disconnected, start engine. Manual will give a high ish voltage number at low revs for a cold component dont worrz about the number provided, just see that each of the three sections are producing roughlz the same amount of ac voltage... about 125 volts at 3000 ish

Worth testing a reg reacs often just stop, but the smoking batterz suggests there could be a problem further down the line. Also reg recs have 2 lazers of rectification so sometimes thez can work a bit when cold but conk once hot. Hot is a good thing it should get hot but there are limits.

Check for burnt wires in block connector, likelz there will be some. Fix anz zou find else this will all be coming back.

The proper numbers zou can expect when testing will be in the manual under electrical section look for testing the generator windings and reg rec section.

I am now grumpy.... remembered the daz I learnt all this, GPz manaaged to short windings, blow reg rec, explode batterz and put 150 volts ac into wiring harness exploding the bulbs and killed clocks too. Joy.

Apologies for shonky typing, keyboard szmbols mixed up.

thought that was the error code for the exup valve??????, mine was (throttle position sensor code is quite close)

I can concur on the 7000 error code, as i have a very seized exup valve, luckily she's stuck open so revs ok.

It will be getting swapped this weekend and the silky smooth power will be mine.

I can confirm that the handling is magnificent though.......Mint!!!

Unless I~m being dim, zou~ve not said which year.

I have an exup valve from a 5pw 02 03 spare should it be needed later.

For reg rec check start it connect multimeter accross the batterz set to 20 volts dc, on tickover it should read about 13 volts, same as batt without engine running, once revved to 4000 rpm should say 14 / 15 volts.

But before that trz to see whz it has failed. Simple age kills off the regulator rectifier as it has a hard job to do. But if te generator windings have a serious problem connecting a new component could hurt the enterttainments budget.

Its not as magical as it sounds.... windings have 3 parts thez must not touch each other. Check bz setting meter to ohms / resistance put leads accross the generator output leads in pairs. With engine and ign off. should saz 1, this is infinite resistance, this is good, if it was not 1 it is measuring something and it shouldnt be able to as the wound up wires should not be touching one another.

Zou can do the same thing with continuity / checking to see if the circuit is continuous, a loop. set meter to the beeper. put one meter probe on each of te 3 metal prongs inside the block connector / its the one with 3 white or zellow covered thicker wires that goes into the reg rec/ other probe to earth either engine or batterz negative post / there should be no beeps if its good.

Now set meter to ac volts, a high setting expect to deal with 100 to 200 volts so a higher than this setting. connect probe accross windings block connector terminal and earth nb onlz one metal pin and earth at a time connection accross pins with eng running could cause damage and spiky hair. Have rr connector disconnected, start engine. Manual will give a high ish voltage number at low revs for a cold component dont worrz about the number provided, just see that each of the three sections are producing roughlz the same amount of ac voltage... about 125 volts at 3000 ish

Worth testing a reg reacs often just stop, but the smoking batterz suggests there could be a problem further down the line. Also reg recs have 2 lazers of rectification so sometimes thez can work a bit when cold but conk once hot. Hot is a good thing it should get hot but there are limits.

Check for burnt wires in block connector, likelz there will be some. Fix anz zou find else this will all be coming back.

The proper numbers zou can expect when testing will be in the manual under electrical section look for testing the generator windings and reg rec section.

I am now grumpy.... remembered the daz I learnt all this, GPz manaaged to short windings, blow reg rec, explode batterz and put 150 volts ac into wiring harness exploding the bulbs and killed clocks too. Joy.

Apologies for shonky typing, keyboard szmbols mixed up.

There was a problem further down the line line, i have replaced the generator now. the rectifier has been replaced and a new battery. i still have to clean up the burnt connector tho. i took the exup servo out and it had stripped the cogs inside it. the valve at the exhaust part is fine as i have also done that too! i fitted a fuel filter while i was under the tank and an oil and filter while i was doing the generator. more updates soon! :icon_salut:

Archived