RS250 Fork leg swap

monkeyfumi

Would post 2006 R6 Fork legs fit 98+ (showa) Aprilia RS250 forks?

I realise that there would be changes to springs etc, and wheel offset adjustments.

They are both 41mm, and it seems a simpler way of upgrading to radial caliper mounts, without swapping the whole fork (potentially needing new yokes etc) and no-one makes radial fork bottoms to suit the RS forks.

Would the damping adjustment be an issue?

Any thoughts / advice?

You've got more than just the fork to measure... You need to measure the stem and the yokes (I would doubt that they'll marry up, without modification).

Have you considered late ZX-6R (636? B-model?) forks? As that's been done before...

You've got more than just the fork to measure... You need to measure the stem and the yokes (I would doubt that they'll marry up, without modification).

Have you considered late ZX-6R (636? B-model?) forks? As that's been done before...

I do believe the chap is asking if the stanchions of an 06 R6 will fit onto the Aprilias outer fork tubes. I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole :unsure: but it could very well be an idea to fit the Kawasaki's forks(do they have DLC coating??) as it's a lot less mucking about :google::huh:

I do believe the chap is asking if the stanchions of an 06 R6 will fit onto the Aprilias outer fork tubes. I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole :thumbsup: but it could very well be an idea to fit the Kawasaki's forks(do they have DLC coating??) as it's a lot less mucking about :):eusa_dance:

yes, i was refering to the stanchions only.

It was a bit of a pie in the sky question at this stage, but it seems possible to my mind. If the stanchion dia. is the same as the yamaha, would the yamaha fork lower fit in the aprilia slider? Alternatively could just the radial bottom be pressed/threaded onto the aprilia stanchion?

yes, i was refering to the stanchions only.

It was a bit of a pie in the sky question at this stage, but it seems possible to my mind. If the stanchion dia. is the same as the yamaha, would the yamaha fork lower fit in the aprilia slider? Alternatively could just the radial bottom be pressed/threaded onto the aprilia stanchion?

There is more than just the stanchion diameter involved. The stanchion would physically slide into the same size hole, yes, but you see, the cartridges in the Yamaha forks screw into the threaded bottom of the radial-mount section, whether the RS's internals could be made to mount in the same way I'm unsure.

Don't know if the axle would fit either, once the radial mounts were in place. Then the RS's brake discs may not have the offset or diameter that the R6's radial brakes require, so the calipers would clash with the discs in their way. and you may need new spacers to hold the wheel centre if the radial mounts are thicker than the stock RS's fork bottoms. etc etc.

I'm not saying yay or nay, it's beyond my scope, but just a few things to think about that may have been overlooked.

Personally I'd say follow the ZXR forks route, we know it's been done and the DLC coatings are actually very good, at the very minimum.

Archived