RAD GUARD

stack600

i still would like it to work well ,i know a guard will impair airflow but i wondered if anyone had made there own to get some ideas of minimum size of mesh needed or maximum to protect rad ?

I'd be Googling 'Welded 6mm stainless steel mesh' If you find a good source can you let me know. The Race director of the TT Legends Honda team can't find any at the mo and keeps hassling me. You know who you are Benney :icon_blackeye:

ally will be ok but will oxidise eventually, the ss wont (unless its the same stainless steel that was used for the downpipes on my vfr!) it all comes down to what your going to do and how you want it to look/work, ally can be painted/anodised ect but wont be as strong as stainless which can also be painted or polished. if the ally is of a thick enough material then i see no reason you cant use it.

I'd be Googling 'Welded 6mm stainless steel mesh' If you find a good source can you let me know. The Race director of the TT Legends Honda team can't find any at the mo and keeps hassling me. You know who you are Benney :icon_blackeye:

Maybe not pratical on a road bike, but I'm considering using 20mm thick nomex honeycomb sheet, as used for core material in composites, as a rad guard on a future project. The plan is to bond the nomex to the edges of the rad with silicone, and hold against the rad core. My theroy is that it will cause less drag and flow better as the honey comb cells have a better aspect ratio than welded mesh, and it should be able to absorb any impacts from debris, by crushing.

How this will work in practice, and wheather it would be robust enough for 24hrs, I'm not sure. I'll report back when I've tried it.

might be worth getting a bit and having a go at it with an air rifle. i suspect that any road debris will not be as big or as fast but it should give a good idea of whats going to happen, also you get to shoot an air rifle. anything bigger or heavier or faster will no doubt have a bigger tendency to end your race anyway.

Maybe not pratical on a road bike, but I'm considering using 20mm thick nomex honeycomb sheet, as used for core material in composites, as a rad guard on a future project. The plan is to bond the nomex to the edges of the rad with silicone, and hold against the rad core. My theroy is that it will cause less drag and flow better as the honey comb cells have a better aspect ratio than welded mesh, and it should be able to absorb any impacts from debris, by crushing.

How this will work in practice, and wheather it would be robust enough for 24hrs, I'm not sure. I'll report back when I've tried it.

Nice idea, not seen the product so I'd be interested in a link if you've got one. I'm still trying to track down a Kevlar weave that I've seen in photos, but no idea where it comes from. Lancashire has been a good source of woven products in the past. :D No I'm not kidding, when all of the Kevlar/Carbon in Europe is going into Airbus production, I've found some from the weavers themselves, direct.

Don't even bother with Aluminium. I've seen genuine WEC title pretentions come crashing down for the expense of about 15g max. Just not worth it. GMT94 you know who you are, and not just the once eh!

These guys will see ya right . Mesh Direct, Benney on the phone Again

Word of caution, the woven stuff looks great, but can do damage. If you're running very close between the front tyre and rad (like the forks are way through the yokes etc), it's better to run the horizontal layer of the welded against the rad itself. If you get the mesh dented against the rad, verticals or woven can fret through the water channels over time.

Further word of caution, race bikes only I'd guess. Check the overall wheelbase after a crash. Many moons ago P1 made this tiny error and when the rad mesh got caught up in the front wheel when the forks compressed again, all hell broke loose.

Rider less that happy as well, I've seen the photos, sadly never to be digitised ;)

Nice idea, not seen the product so I'd be interested in a link if you've got one. I'm still trying to track down a Kevlar weave that I've seen in photos, but no idea where it comes from. Lancashire has been a good source of woven products in the past. :eusa_pray: No I'm not kidding, when all of the Kevlar/Carbon in Europe is going into Airbus production, I've found some from the weavers themselves, direct.

Don't even bother with Aluminium. I've seen genuine WEC title pretentions come crashing down for the expense of about 15g max. Just not worth it. GMT94 you know who you are, and not just the once eh!

These guys will see ya right . Mesh Direct, Benney on the phone Again

Word of caution, the woven stuff looks great, but can do damage. If you're running very close between the front tyre and rad (like the forks are way through the yokes etc), it's better to run the horizontal layer of the welded against the rad itself. If you get the mesh dented against the rad, verticals or woven can fret through the water channels over time.

Further word of caution, race bikes only I'd guess. Check the overall wheelbase after a crash. Many moons ago P1 made this tiny error and when the rad mesh got caught up in the front wheel when the forks compressed again, all hell broke loose.

Rider less that happy as well, I've seen the photos, sadly never to be digitised :tumbleweed:

These people http://www.prfcomposites.co.uk/materials-r...rbon-fabric.asp can supply carbon and kevlar woven cloth in just about any compination and weave you could want, and will supply smaller quantities .

This is the Nomex Honeycomb I had in mind.

nomex-honeycomb-172874.jpg

You can get Aluminium versions aswell, but I would be worried about it fretting through the rad. tubes.

Archived