Air compressor has died

drunkn munky

Anyone know owt about compressors? mine wont build pressure no more, it just happened suddenly so i suspect a blown seal but when it happened stupid here didnt check where it was leaking from as i was too busy cursing the genting thing.

Now it wont build presure at all and the motor now sounds like a wet fart when you hit the stop button. Any ideas as to where i should start looking?

Id start by looking at the pump on top and the pipes to the tank.

Maybe a leaking rubber hose? or a union? so the tank is always emptying?

Is the pressure release valve on the tank jammed open?

Get the spanners out and whip off the cylinder head, air compressors are a lot simpler than engines so it shouldn't take too long to figure out what is wrong with it.

I take it the presure relive valve is the bit on the left of the tank by the dial? Should the little plunger the end be free? mine is solid.

DSC03785.jpg

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03783.jpg

I started it for a few minutes and it built i little presure, enough to hear it hiss out the drain but nothing of any use. When i hit the stop button it doesnt shut off as it use to, the only way i can describe it is like wet fart rather than a sudden stop and the release valve blowing. I realise its not building up enough presure for the release valve to work but it still dont sound right. Theres oil in it and the motor sounds fine running.

The previous owner had recently replaced the head gasket so im not keen on taking it apart seeing as he reckoned the parts took ages to order!

I've never tinkered with a compressor myself but a mate gave me his old compressor he had fixed-said it had reeds(like on a 2stroke) that had broken.worth checking as you can probably leave the head on

If the motor sounds like a wet fart, odds on it's gone tits up. 240v cap start/cap run motors aren't the most hardy of things.

How does it look/sound when it's running ?

As for 'reeds', these are effectively the inlet/outlet valves and are normally fairly reliable on compressors of that size.

As for the relief valve, well it would be pissing air out when the compressor was running if it was faulty.

I'd take a guess the 'reeds' are at the top of that feed pipe that goes to the reservoir?

If the reeds had broke it would suck air out of it too Explaing the wet farting I would think being more noticeable on the slowdown.All speculation mind

The motor sounds fine running and yes the wet fart sound is on slowdown.

Weather looks good for tomorrow so time to get the bike out!! will try and find those reeds in the week.

If i take the relife valve apart what am i looking for if its shagged?

Like I say-I've never stripped a compressor but would imagine you're looking for some sort of one way valve(maybe rubber or fibre or thin flexible metal)would imagine the backpressure should cause it to 'flap'back and create an airtight seal,so looking for either broken reeds or damaged sealing face.

Archived