5JY R1 Slippy clutchy drivy maddy!

Gumballer

All,

I just bought a 2001 r1 17k on the clock, have posted other questions here so wont go over how much I love her aaaah. Bought one new back in the day....

Currently commuting 100 miles a day on her.

Now when I bought her the shop hadnt noticed that the clutch slipped, well it only really is noticable when hard on it in top, as she sweeps past 8k, revs rise suddenly and thrust diminishes.

No probs thinks I and budgets a one'r for a new clutch in to the purchase negotiations. Bought, got home, whipped out clutch, looked ok but binned, new plates and spring in. Test ride, woohoo thrust!

Happy I was until today now the clutch is slipping again!! ????? done maybe 600 miles, slack in cable at end of travel, all immediate ideas thought through..

So What the Fuck?

Have marked rear tyre in line with airvalve just in case its heroic rim spinning in tyre syndrom but doubtful..

HELP!

What sort of oil are you using? If you're using fully synthetic it might be worth cleaning the plates with some contact cleaner and swapping to either semi synthetic or another brand of fully synth and see how it goes.

I've used fully synthetic in my 4Xv for years and not had any problems with clutch slip. Some do, some don't.

Personally, I think the choice of oil between semi and fully synth won't make any difference to making the clutch slip.

I think it's more likely to be the diaphragm spring is possibly a bit weak as Paul suggests - I've heard of that being a problem before.

Also... it's possible that when the clutch was slipping before, the steel plates might have 'blued' as a result. Once that happens, no matter how many times you change the friction plates, it will keep slipping.

On the standard clutch there's also that bloody stupid 'anti-judder' bit of piano wire holding in a smaller diameter friction and steel plate, closest to the clutch centre.

Did you change those too?

edit: for reference I am talking about no's 4-8 inclusive - this is a 4XV clutch but the 5JJ is identical [and the 5PW I think too?]

Clutch.jpg

Thanks Monkey i didnt even see that! (i was having acouple of Stellas to ease the frustration of that bloody floaty fiddly centre rod)

The spring that came with teh new clutch is proper weak, one finger easy weak, think ive lobbed the original will have to trapse through the bin!

Thanks guys

Thanks Monkey i didnt even see that! (i was having acouple of Stellas to ease the frustration of that bloody floaty fiddly centre rod)

The spring that came with teh new clutch is proper weak, one finger easy weak, think ive lobbed the original will have to trapse through the bin!

Thanks guys

ahhh.... you will need something stronger than that. I recommend crystal meth :huh: for the fiddly centre rod

sounds like the clutch spring is your problem then - if you've lobbed* the original, get a new OE one, not a pattern copy.

it's easy to miss the 'anti judder' bits as the piano wire means they don't come out with the rest of the plates.

It's pretty wank IMHO, a lot of people ditch it & revert to the original set up by using a normal sized friction and steel, and doing away with the piano wire.

I did, before I had the slipper clutch in, and never had any problems with judder.

* and FFS stop throwing things away. That is bad. Hoarding bits is good, see.

Once upon a time we had an early R1 in for exactly the same problem , eventually found the cause , the gearbox input shaft ( the one with the clutch on it ) is supposed to have a blanking plug in the end of it , if this is missing oil pours through the clutch quicker than it can be cleared and mucheth clutcheth slippeth ensues , if this is the case there is two options

1 , Buy a new shaft and pay someone like me 1 arm and 1/2 leg for the pleasure of fitting it , or

2 , Get your mate who's an engineer ( we've all got them ) to turn up a tapered plug and smite it mightily into the aforementioned orifice

hth

Cheers Ron. I didnt read this before changing the clutch AGAIN! It seems much better now I put the old clutch spring back in!

Packaging was correct on the other ite, but it was soo weak it cant have been correct bleeding EBC cost me a Sunday sunny afternoon.

Archived