R1, wont start

Bat Fastard

My 2004 r1 has developed a fault in that it wont start... :icon_puke_r:

If you put the key in and turn to the on position the tacho gauge sweeps up to the max and back down to zero, temperature shows as hi, and the immobiliser light is flashing quickly. There is no noise from the fuel pump. If you hit the starter, the starter motor turns but the engine wo'nt start.

I just removed my PCIII and tried the bike without but still no joy. ( it was working fine with it before) I have checked all the fuses and block connectors, all appear fine.

The indicators are now not flashing when I arm/disarm the alarm, could the alarm ( datatool sytem 3) be playing up? ..... any ideas....? ;)

Shot in the dark but have you tried putting the alarm into service mode and trying the bike? IIRC (it's been some years since I had a D3), that mode disables everything on the alarm except for a bloody annoying beep every 15 seconds or so. Of course, if the alarm's playing up then that might not work.

Tried that, didnt work.

Blasted alarm has now got a mind of its own!!!!! Keeps going off all the time. Got it in service mode, any other and it lets rip. If I could find it i would smack it with a bloody hammer :ph34r:

I think its off to the dealers, Doh!

I was gonna ask if anyone actually had anything good to say about alarms.

No.

even though mine [Datatool evo] has caused me any problems, it's still a pain in the arse

I think its off to the dealers, Doh!

not being funny, but how are you going to get there if the bike won't start?

You could try http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/index.html someone I knew used them when they had an alarm/immobiliser problem, and was very happy with their service. Was a few years ago, mind

No.

even though mine [Datatool evo] has caused me any problems, it's still a pain in the arse

not being funny, but how are you going to get there if the bike won't start?

You could try http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/index.html someone I knew used them when they had an alarm/immobiliser problem, and was very happy with their service. Was a few years ago, mind

Was gonna get it picked up but will try the above link/site first. See if they could come to my place and remove the alarm perhaps. Even fix it??

I removed one from my Ducati 996, rebuilt/repaired the loom but I had time then. I need the R1 fixed sharpish and I dont have time/work etc in way.

Was gonna get it picked up but will try the above link/site first. See if they could come to my place and remove the alarm perhaps. Even fix it??

I removed one from my Ducati 996, rebuilt/repaired the loom but I had time then. I need the R1 fixed sharpish and I dont have time/work etc in way.

got to worth speaking to them before you try the dealer, i reckon. Or maybe there are others that do the same.

I'm sue if they can't fix it, they could remove it. with a claw hammer :tumbleweed:

got to worth speaking to them before you try the dealer, i reckon. Or maybe there are others that do the same.

I'm sue if they can't fix it, they could remove it. with a claw hammer :blush:

Bike is due its 24000 mile "biggy" service. Its my regular all year round transport. Commuting etc so may just bite the bullet.

If faulty, Ill have the alarm removed. Bike has been very reliable up to today.

Before you start ripping the alarm out for no reason , check your fuses , the aerial round the ignition switch is fed by two fuses , the ignition fuse and the back up fuse , the latter is usually used as the alarm feed wire as well , which could explain why your alarm is having a mardy as well , i always uprate this fuse to 15a when fitting an alarm , the usual cause of this fuse going is people fitting alarms without fitting a diode in the flasher circuit so if it arms with the indicators on it can feed back to the ignition and overload the fuse , hth

Before you start ripping the alarm out for no reason , check your fuses , the aerial round the ignition switch is fed by two fuses , the ignition fuse and the back up fuse , the latter is usually used as the alarm feed wire as well , which could explain why your alarm is having a mardy as well , i always uprate this fuse to 15a when fitting an alarm , the usual cause of this fuse going is people fitting alarms without fitting a diode in the flasher circuit so if it arms with the indicators on it can feed back to the ignition and overload the fuse , hth

Thanks for the reply mate.

I have checked these. Both are good condition and 15a.

DC

Sounds like you have a datatool alarm and the brain is fried happened to me and my mate, funny thing bump starting got the bike running just had to put up with the alarm going off every 15 mins i think untill it died. Alarms are good as they keep kids away its the imboliser part of it that is w*nk especially when your a 180 miles from home!

If it was an alarm fault , no matter what , it would not make the temperature gauge read hi , it would probably flash a fault code unless it was wired into the fuel pump feed , but that would not make the gauge read hi . if it didn't recognize the key , it would be showing a 51 or 52 fault code so its not that . besides the aforementioned fuses , the only other times this happens is with a faulty aerial or i had one instance where a mate of the owner had fitted a digi gear jobby and had not put a cover back correctly which allowed the aerial wires to rub through , same net outcome , no feed up to or back from it

follow the wires back from the ign switch , they run down the left hand side of the frame , any damage should be apparent , this might help ,http://www.themotorhead.com/downloads/Yamaha-R1-2004-ServiceManual.pdf

Problem sorted.

water in the loom/connectors. Gawd knows how it got in but it did.

Archived