2001 Yamaha R1 Exup valve rattle

srad34

Good morgan PB massive,

My Carb R1 Exup valve rattles at low revs and despite taking it apart and making sure everything is free, what else can i do?

I first thought it was camchain noise (eek) but I have have had it checked and confirmed by a Yamaha dealer that 'they all do that sir....', is it just tolerance or wear in the valve collar?.

I have read on some R1 forums that you can remove the valve completely, I assume blanking it off, but until I look into this, what are the possible issues that will bring?

The bike has been Dynojetted and has race can plus K&N filter and runs sweet at the moment. I can't afford to replace the system with a race one just yet but any advice on removing the exup valve would be welcomed.

Is the best option put up or punt for that race system??

Cheers

Have you checked the play in the cables? There are adjusters to take up the slack.

If you take the chrome cover off the EXUP valve you'll be able to see the shaft. With the ignition turned on, the two tabs on the pully should line up with the hole in the valve body. If not, turn the ignition off, loosen the cables with the adjusters. Use a 4mm drill/dowl and peg the exup valve in the correct position, then adjust the cable so they are finger tight on the adjusters, with a little bit of movement in the cables (not too tight or slack). Remove the drill/dowl, then turn on the ignition. The valve should open and then return to the position where the tabs and the locating hole are in line.

If it stops rattling - then it's seized. Put up with the rattle and it'll be reet.

My YZF750 used to rattle despite stripping, cleaning, coppergreasing, adjusting cable slack, etc. I ended up getting a mate with a lathe to make a teeny weeny bonze bush for the shaft which cured it. For a few months. Then it rattled again :angry:

If it stops rattling - then it's seized. Put up with the rattle and it'll be reet.

My YZF750 used to rattle despite stripping, cleaning, coppergreasing, adjusting cable slack, etc. I ended up getting a mate with a lathe to make a teeny weeny bonze bush for the shaft which cured it. For a few months. Then it rattled again :pbtwerplr3:

Mine does not rattle on my 98 R1, and it is not seized. It never rattled on my last 98 R1 either :eusa_think: When I first bought the bike it did rattle if I revved it but I tightened the cables up to the proper spec and the rattle went away.

You have probably already adjusted them but here is a website showing how to do it, there should only be 1.5mm play in the cables so quite tight:

http://www.sites4bikes.com/R1-EXUP-98-01-Adjustment.htm

Mine does not rattle on my 98 R1, and it is not seized. It never rattled on my last 98 R1 either :eusa_think: When I first bought the bike it did rattle if I revved it but I tightened the cables up to the proper spec and the rattle went away.

You have probably already adjusted them but here is a website showing how to do it, there should only be 1.5mm play in the cables so quite tight:

http://www.sites4bikes.com/R1-EXUP-98-01-Adjustment.htm

Yup, did just that job on mine today to cure the annoying fucking rattle/clicking from the exhaust. Literally a ten minute job.

Well, into the workshop today to check the exup value, with a few mins spent tweeking the cables and no more rattle!

I took the R1 out for a run this aft and its was spot on, thanks for the help chaps......

Archived