Stainless - Hex head or Allen socket

crayons

browsing for some stainless bolts & nuts to replace the corroded mess that seems to be holding my bike together and all of the kits seem to be allen socket. In my very limited experience though, the allen sockets ( granted not stainless ) have been more difficult to remove than the hex heads. So which to go for and why is allen socket the fashion?

Ta

Can't give you the relative merits of a socket head over hex, but certainly it's really really rare for a stainless bolt to seize in and if the head rounds it's because it's a cheap shit bolt. The only socket heads I've had round off have either been rusted in high tensile steel (which is sort of soft anyway) or alloy (which is one grade up from putty, one down from the rubbers you get on the top of pencils). Having a decent allen socket helps, rather than a cheapo set of allen keys which only sort of it and you can't get much force to push it in to the socket.

one word - coppergrease. see what I did there?

noIdidn't?

one word - coppergrease. see what I did there?

lad i work with swear by using milk of magnesia as an anti sieze, especally on stainless to ali. Got to be the original stuff, not the flavoured kind (i.e with sugar in it).

Says they used it on helicopter all the time.

Has anyone else heard of this one / used it

Archived