Another Mityvac question....

wavydavy

Just had a go at bleeding the GrayBlade's front brakes with my new Mityvac.

First thing I noticed is that, as people have warned about, it manages to suck air in past the threads on the rhs bleed nipple (but not the left... :eusa_think: ) so i'll need to have them out and PTFE them to get a better seal.

Second thing I noticed is that the push-on rubber 'L' pieces that go on the nipples don't seem to be a great fit, but I can't tell if they let air past too - does anyone use them or do you just push the plastic tube directly onto the nipple (which would seem to be a better idea to me).

Thirdly, and most importantly, is the reservoir bottle supposed to have any rubber/plastic seals in the lid? Only mine leaks like a bastard and I had to be very very very careful doing it up and then, after a couple of pumps to get the vacuum going, I had to carefully press the lid all the way round to get a non-leaky seal which is a bit of a PITA.....

At least I managed to not make the brakes any worse, but they still feel a tad spongy afterthe winter lay-off, so I'll have to go buy some more DOT4 this week and have another go, including PFTE taping the nipple threads...

Cheers.

It is as I thought - apart from me being a cack-handed, impatient mechanical numpty (highest ever entry exam score at Stockport College for the Motorcycle Mechanics C&G course starting 1987, lowest marks in every practical class we did.....) I got one with a slightly oval-ish lid and 'cos I bought it in the UK, I guess I'll just have to bodge and make do....

:eusa_think:

:icon_blackeye:

It's a bummer if it's otherwise OK, but you can get spares for them: The grumpy old lady from the garage next door ran mine over a few years back, crushing the bottle, I got a new one off the net, can't remember where from but it wasn't a huge amount. I use the tube straight onto the nipple too but what I've found is that the hose goes hard (nipple, hard hose, what am I doing here?) after a few years. Nip into your local homebrew emporium and get fresh hose that's nice and stretchy/grippy when this happens.

If this is the first time you've used it, I'd advise using the mityvac to do the bulk of the bleeding then do the final bit the old fashioned way with a spanner and a squeezing the lever, I can never quite get it perfect with the mityvac, even though it's brilliant for when you've just completely stripped a system down.

Like MM said, hose straight onto the bleed nipple.

It really is a good bit of kit when you get the hang of it. It took me about 15 mins to bleed a system from dry compared to at least an hour without.

Bought a mityvac couple of months ago off of the 'bay, and had the same issue with the reservoir bottle leaking air.

I emailed mityvac support desk in US about it - they replied saying that it must faulty and to return it to the retailer for a replacement under warranty. New one seals fine first time now.

• 1 month later...

Archived