'O' Ring or 'X' Ring??

MarkyRR

I'm getting close to needing to replace the chain/sprockets on my B1 ZX9R, and have seen for the same price, there's either an X ring, or an O ring. Whats the difference/recommended?? The bike isn't used on the track, or for anything too fast, etc, just mainly for commuting duties. Does one give better lifespan, etc than the other?

Whats the PB thoughts??

:eusa_dance:

As Ross said, X as its meant to keep the grease in longer, whether in reality youll notice the difference is another story but for the same price....

Thanks chaps....I've read a bit more about it aswell now, and thats the only difference I can see aswell..... 'X' version it is then.

:lol:

Do a search on here, a few people have had some issues with chains and there seems there was a trend towards one brand failing. I can't remember if it was afam or regina. I can remember that tsubaki have very few failures, worth the mone as a failed chain can cost a good bit to sort out the damage it causes.

In your position get an x ring. Regina is another brand name for Renthal chains I believe

I guess its like anything mate.As long as you look after it im sure it will give you miles of trouble free motoring.Maintain the chain by cleaning & lube and im sure it will be fine.

But if you cut an O-Ring, it has the cross section of an 'O', and if you cut an 'X' ring, it has the cross section of an 'X'. The thinking behind the 'X' ring is it provides two sealing surfaces to keep the lubricant in the rollers while the 'O' ring only has one sealing surface. The 'X' ring is also supposed to have somewhat less resistance as the chain goes around the sprockets.So if the X ring is the same price as the o ring then get the X ring one. :lol:

Make your choice......

P.S I have heard the gold ones give you another 2bhp at the wheel.. B)

Archived