2000 R1 Slight Ticking when warm seems to be top end

Gumballer

Can anyone with better knowledge than me advise on what it may be? Holding a constant say 3k, there is a pronounced loud ticking, not a rattle I dont think more an engine speed related TICK.

Gets louder the warmer she gets.

Shims?

No idea of history as bought her cheap, but has done approx 12k. Has a KMH speedo but at some point has had a speedo healer installed.

Reading that back it sounds like a dog, shes not, well I love her.

difficult to say without hearing it. But possible suspects could be:

cam chain tensioner

valve clearances

clutch - worn plates / play in basket

my initial thoughts are 12k miles on a 2001 bike seems very low, that's roughly a thousand miles a year. Coupled with the comment about the clocks I suspect the mileage might be higher, so maybe the valve clearances need doing - or at least checking

If it tick in time to the engine then it's something connected with pistons

If it's at half half the engine speed it could be connected to cam or a valve

If it's more of a constant like a tinkling which goes away when you rev the engine, then I'd say cam chain - or the tensioner.

Of course it could be something that's not torqued up and it vibrates simpatheticaly at 3k rpm or the niose of the engine covers it when you rev it.

Get hold of a mechanics stethoscope http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mechanics-Stethoscop...=item20b64e9d01 (this seemed the best deal with a spark plug tester) and have a listen to the engine .... and maybe the frame for something attached.

Thanks Guys, sorry I was out on it and missed emails.

Me thinks its valve clearances, clutch is also slipping a little when hard "on it" in top. Again causing some suspicion on mileage front. Hey Ho deals done now. Are shims an expensive job on these? Just hoping the Cams not worn, its definately heat related.

She pretty though.

vdzio.jpg

Thanks Hero, oil been changed and flushed out, clutch is on order, i'll change the plates next weekend. I would imagine a tensioner is more of a rattle (used to have a ZX9 so used to noises) this is a cam speed tick, must be a clearance somewhere.

Theres nothing in there that can stick through lack of use is there? I know the bikes been sitting two years in the showroom at least. And god knows what before that.

Thanks Guys, sorry I was out on it and missed emails.

Me thinks its valve clearances, clutch is also slipping a little when hard "on it" in top. Again causing some suspicion on mileage front. Hey Ho deals done now. Are shims an expensive job on these? Just hoping the Cams not worn, its definately heat related.

She pretty though.

vdzio.jpg

Yep she sure is purdy alright. And you've got one of the much faster blue ones :lol:

ok well then if the clutch is slipping then I'd be looking at getting that sorted first, and so it can be eliminated as a possible cause of the ticking.

It's a relatively easy job to inspect and change the plates if needed, and check the clutch basket for wear. You don't even have to drop the oil out to do it - the clutch is up above the sump.

Not sure how much checking the valve clearances costs as I've just - as in last week - tackled mine, for the first time [see 'Houston we have a problem' thread - also contains details about changing the clutch]

as it's a 20v motor there are four more than normal, but otherwise I found checking and adjusting the clearances to be not to bad... though I did have the engine out of the frame. I reckon it must be a right bugger of a job with the engine in situ.

Very unlikely to be cams unless something major has gone wrong. If it changes when hot I would suggest valve clearances more likely.

PS if it's been sat for a couple of years I'd also change the coolant to be on the safe side

Does it sound like the keys are rattling on the top yoke or something loose in the exhaust ? If it does mine is the same. I read up and appatently lots of early r1s do it , some do , some don't . Always on the left hand side though , mines been like it on and off for about 8 years and it hasn't got any worse . So long as the frequency of the rattle doesn't increase with the revs it sounds like you have the same as mine

You could book an hour (possibly) at M+M for mark hite to have a look over it for you .... obviously that's subject to you arranging it with him, but he's the R1 man

Chances are he'll know exactly what it is and how to go about fixing it, if it even needs fixing.

Its not unknown to get a bit of noise from the actual valve guides on the early R1's , the choices are live with it or buy a new head ( be careful about buying one off the bay as that is probably the reason it has been changed )

Archived