CDI Question

Majik

Finally...finally..finally.

I've sourced and purchased a 650 motor for the Goose. But not just any motor. Oh no. Managed to get one out of a CCM R30 644 - which has the twin carb, twin port and bigger valve head on it. Good for an extra 5bhp, apparently (stop laughing at the back! It all counts...). ANNNYWHO - picking it up in a couple of weeks from Lancashire, and I've even snaffled the coil, regulator, oil cooler and downpipe out of him. Job jobbed.

Only problem is - no carbs or CDI with it.

So...is it possible that the Goose CDI works? as everything will line up connector, it seems, and all it is doing is sending the spark signal to the single coil, right, once it's happy I'm not in neutral etc? The Goose is a DR350 motor, and the CCM motor is DR650 with single coil, twin plugs.

Now to scour eGay for carbs. Wonder if twin flatties'll fit...

WooHoo!!!!

Majik

Twin flatslides would be very cool! And make those all important monster backfires that little bit easier to achieve.

As for a CDI you need one from an XF650 freewind, the DR650 ones use a different connector if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps, Ben.

Ah! But I'm using the Goose loom (hopefully...) so the connectors should match up - I've checked DR650 cdi pics and it looks exactly like the Goose CDI. The CCM one seems similar, but has female rather than male. AM I being too simplistic here, thinking that if I can get the engine to hook up to the Goose loom (which I don't think'll be a problem) then the CDI may work?

Majik

I'm far from an expert but I'd guess what you'd want to do is make sure that timing pick-up system is the same on the two motors, so it at least is looking for the same spark signal. Other than that it's down to individual quirks of the bike, things like electric carb heaters, clutch cut-out switches, etc. If it physically fits I'd then be looking at wiring diagrams to see if there's anything that's on one bike and isn't on the other.

Lorenzo has got it in one. Have a look at the ignition pick up end of the crank and see if you can swap the pickups over easily or ideally the whole mounting plate and pickups (not necessarily the end of the world if you can't get the plate on, you can always re-drill the mounting holes on the 350 plate as long as the 650 ignition pickups fit the plate). Also check if the trigger is in the same position on the rotor with respect to TDC (it's the little tag on the rotor) and if so it should be perfectly possible to run with the 650 CDI and the goose loom. I'd also double check that all the wires are in the same position before trying to fire it up though.

Just re-read your initial post and realised you were thinking of using the 350 CDI. Yes if you can fit the Goose ignition pickups and trigger to the 650 motor then it should fire up. I'd be very cautious though if you do give this a go, the 350 revs a fair bit higher than the 650 motor and feels a lot more "snappy" which is in part due to the smaller capacity and reciprocating mass etc but I reckon the Goose CDI will have a much more aggressive ignition curve and higher rev limiter. If you do try it then I'd go cautiously and stop at the first sign of detonation, it's all too easy to smash a hole through the top of a piston or if you over rev it drop a valve which wouldn't be too pretty!

All of this is purely theoretical though and they may be pretty close in terms of static timing (the initial ignition advance setting which you can adjust by moving the pickup plate) and ignition curve, indeed with some dyno time it's probably possible to get a working setup that is safe and performs well using the Goose CDI and pickups.

Let me know how you get on cos my housemate has a Goose and it might get the 650 treatment at some point :eusa_think:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Here's a weird question - I've compared wiring diagrams (bearing in mind I'm okay, but not great on electrics) and everything seems reasonably similar aside from the TPS. So..... bearing in mind the Goose doesn't use a TPS at all, can I simply forego a TPS by using a non-TPS CDI?

Yep, I think that should be fine. It might be worth giving Allens Performance a ring and asking what they would recommend when converting to flatslides etc. It may well be the case that you can use a CDI designed to be used with TPS and just disconnect the TPS and that's that. On a carbed bike the TPS has much less involvement than with an injected one.

Yep, I think that should be fine. It might be worth giving Allens Performance a ring and asking what they would recommend when converting to flatslides etc. It may well be the case that you can use a CDI designed to be used with TPS and just disconnect the TPS and that's that. On a carbed bike the TPS has much less involvement than with an injected one.

Hmm. Thanks man - great info, and nice to be reassured.

They feed info to the CDI allowing it to optimise the ignition curve depending on engine load. It allows improved throttle response off idle and also allows the ignition to be backed off to reduce the chance of detonation under high load/low RPM situations.

Archived