flat battery

mick750

Bacause twins are a nightmare to bump start. A couple of hefty blokes, one to push it and one to jump onto the seat as he lets the clutch out could sort it, but the chances are you'll just lock the back wheel up unless you're good at it.

Its a bit harder bump starting a fuel injected bike as you need to prime the fuel pump and injectors first of all which means pushing for that bit longer.

If you've got two people one to sit on the bike, one to push then you might manage it. Try second gear first, third if that keeps locking up and sit well back on the seat.

To be honest, I'd save your money on the yuasa and get a gel battery instead, they survive being left for long periods better than a traditional lead acid battery and they will always provide better cold cranking power too. The only disadvantage is that a lead acid battery survives being over-charged a little better, plus gel tends to be a bit pricier. If you're thinking about a yuasa gel battery then you've got more money than sense.

the battery was taken off the bike before she put it away so its ok

when she bought the bike the salesman told here to not bump start it and i dont understand why ? is it just because its a twin ?

the battery was taken off the bike before she put it away so its ok

when she bought the bike the salesman told here to not bump start it and i dont understand why ? is it just because its a twin ?

Must be true then... ;)

You can jump start a bike off a car, we've done it loads of times, just don't have the car running as has already been mentioned. If the bike battery is good, put it back in the bike and jump start it (positive on the battery, negative on the engine or somewhere else that's earthed). If all is well with the charging system on the bike a good run out should recharge it :)

^^^^^+1

My ZXR750 was a bugger to start unless the battery was 100%. I used to start it like Kayla said and never had any problems.

I bump started my Laverda 750 twin once on my own (that's fuel injected) out of about 20 attempts.

With someone else pushing as well it'd go no problem.

To be honest, I'd save your money on the yuasa and get a gel battery instead, they survive being left for long periods better than a traditional lead acid battery and they will always provide better cold cranking power too. The only disadvantage is that a lead acid battery survives being over-charged a little better, plus gel tends to be a bit pricier. If you're thinking about a yuasa gel battery then you've got more money than sense.

I thought Yuasa were expensive, then I bought one for my ZX9 (bought a Varta AGM one last year , and it's buggered) - £35 delivered for a Yuasa AGM battery

They do keep their charge for longer, but I've found that once they're completely discharged, they're fucked - no recovering like a traditional lead acid battery

Mine's always been okay to do it with. Although I haven't bump started it in a traditional sense, I used my slave starter to do it. So much easier.

Back in the day , as the kids say , I borrowed a BSA B50 with a speedway tune on the motor , was a right hoot till the bastard stopped on me , took about 8 years off my life starting it

Anyhoo , if your gonna try bump starting it , it sometimes help to press the starter button at the same time as some bikes run a different ignition / injection cycle when cranking ( the bike that is )

Archived