Advice needed for looking after a track bike during winter storage.

Ian

If it's a race bike and therefore runs neat water with no anti-freeze, then drain the coolant and replace with an anti-freeze mix. Or keep the bike somewhere warm. Otherwise you risk the coolant freezing and cracking the barrels/head. Unless it is an air or oil cooled bike in which case ignore me completely!

If it's a race bike and therefore runs neat water with no anti-freeze, then drain the coolant and replace with an anti-freeze mix. Or keep the bike somewhere warm. Otherwise you risk the coolant freezing and cracking the barrels/head. Unless it is an air or oil cooled bike in which case ignore me completely!

Yes my bike has water in the radiator and I had thought of that. What about turning the engine over every week, is that a good idea ???

Honestly, I don't know. I don't see how it can hurt though...

Yes my bike has water in the radiator and I had thought of that. What about turning the engine over every week, is that a good idea ???

If you do that, make sure you thoroughly warm it up, otherwise condensation will start to form and start to corrode things.

I would drain the water out of the cooling system as if its just tap water it'll corrode the alloy.Lube the chain up good-infact lube all pivot points-if you have paddock stands put it up on them and rotate the wheels every now and then to stop pads sticking to discs,if its got a battery keep it topped up with a charge every now and then.

You should definitely put fresh oil and a new oil filter on it, the old stuff will be acidic and oxidize the internal finishes.

Put a full tank of fuel in it, then add the correct amount of fuel stabilizer(from your local fuel station or auto store) and run the bike for 15min or do a short ride to get the stabilized fuel around the pipes(and the fresh oil around your engine). Make sure there is no air gap in the top of the tank, fill it right up or it might rust. Stabilized fuel will last up to 2 years, normal fuel will degrade after about 6 weeks, losing it's octane properties and varnishing small fuel-ways.

It's wise to put an exhaust bung in while the can is still warmish so moisture(or cockroaches, mice-whatever) cannot enter the pipe or combustion chamber over the next while.

Put the bike on stands so the tyres don't get flat spots. Now is also a good time to lube all the cables, preferably with a small amount fresh engine oil. WD40 is actually a shithouse cable lubricant, but is better than dust I suppose.. :P:D

DON'T WASH THE BIKE BEFORE STORAGE, the water will stay there for fucking ages especially if the bike sits in a very cold spot.

If it's going to sit for AGES(like, more than half a year) you should remove the plugs and add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and turn the engine over without the plugs in it-to coat the rings and cylinder walls with oil which will stop oxidation or sticking.

Cover the bike, if only to stop dust settling in all the cracks. It also keeps him cozy for the winter. Definitely keep the battery charged.

When you bring the bike out of storage, you will almost certainly need new brake fluid so don't change it at the start of hibernation thinking it will be perfect when you awaken it again.

Starting the bike every week is a no-no, it actually does more damage than good with the condensation created(like what mr. bones stated) and contaminates your oil. Start the bike only when you want to ride it again.

S'bout all I can think of, the worst part is seeing how bad your riding has degraded over that time... :o:angry:

Archived