Gear linkage 'knuckle'

szrdave

After 'modifying' the gear lever with the road surface during the slippery weather I'm replacing the standard crap linkage with one from an R1.

The advantages of this are it:

1 - should look nicer

2 - should work better

3 - will be a lot cheaper!

The only part I'm missing is the 'knuckle' clamp that sits over the gear change shaft. I could pick up a used one from ebay, but the linkage rod needs to be spaced out a bit to clear the frame, so I'd just end up having to modify it anyway.

So is there anyone that sells just the knuckle, with no rod/joint attached?

I've already tried googling 'rearset spares' etc, but to no avail...

Not that easy as the splines are often cut differently from model to model, even within a single manufacturer. I'd be tempted to get a standard one on braze a bit of Split tube to the end and then make a threaded spigot to take the rose joint and braze this on. Be aware as well, that the gearbox end of an R1 setup probably has a reverse thread at that end so you'll probably have to borrow a Left handed tap from somewhere.

Not that easy as the splines are often cut differently from model to model, even within a single manufacturer. I'd be tempted to get a standard one on braze a bit of Split tube to the end and then make a threaded spigot to take the rose joint and braze this on. Be aware as well, that the gearbox end of an R1 setup probably has a reverse thread at that end so you'll probably have to borrow a Left handed tap from somewhere.

The end of the R1 shift rod is L/H thread, but you can pick up L/H thread rose joints for a couple of quid. I have it on good authority that the R1 'end' fits on the SZR shaft, but the standard ball joint is on the inside and would need to be cut off and a hole drilled and tapped to attach the eye of the rose joint with a bolt.

Not a big job, but my workshop facilities consist of a cheap drill stand and a single speed drill with a slightly bent shaft. The workshop is the kitchen if there is no-one else around, or the garden if it's not raining!

ses, of rearsets fame, do knuckles separately. have a look on their site, dont know if anything on there is any good. here

And here may be the solution! Thanks for the link kanerdog :tacheemoticonwh7:

At £30 quid incl p&p it's about 3x more than the rest of the bits have cost, but it'll save a lot of messing around. If they've got the right size!

gay002-3-x-r6-aprilia-gear-actuators.jpg

Archived