weight of water.

kaighn80

seem to remember an experiment when i was in school about pressure and suction involving a clear plastic tube and some coloured liquid in a bucket, could one if one was so inclined make a set of carb balancers by sticking 4 lengths of clear plastic tube to a board and adding some coloured water to a bucket something like 6mm windscreen washer tube, and if so how would one go about it?

seem to remember an experiment when i was in school about pressure and suction involving a clear plastic tube and some coloured liquid in a bucket, could one if one was so inclined make a set of carb balancers by sticking 4 lengths of clear plastic tube to a board and adding some coloured water to a bucket something like 6mm windscreen washer tube, and if so how would one go about it?

Could be done! .... You'd be making a manometer... The problem is that water is a bit too light and the height of your intstrument would need to be a bit impractical. That's why mercury is usually used.

well mercury is a bit of a no no so what about something like oil in a bigger tube? i can get up to 16mm id. i know that oil is a lighter substance but could it be used in a closed system so you would have all 4 tubes going into a connector to joint them all up then which ever carb was out of balance would either be higher or lower than the rest? oil would also give a slower change in reading, making it easier to adjust.

well mercury is a bit of a no no so what about something like oil in a bigger tube? i can get up to 16mm id. i know that oil is a lighter substance but could it be used in a closed system so you would have all 4 tubes going into a connector to joint them all up then which ever carb was out of balance would either be higher or lower than the rest? oil would also give a slower change in reading, making it easier to adjust.

The diameter of the tube shouldn't matter and I don't think oil is that much denser than water....

Morgan Carbtune II uses alloy rods instead of mercury. The advantage of a manometer type over a dial gauge is it can't go out of sync with itself - and no expensive gauges to break!! They also sell other carb tuning tools including the old colourtune kit. Might be worth a couple of mates clubbing together and buying some bits and bobs.

Link http://www.carbtune.com/

Manometers are easy to make. There are loads of plans for making them out there on the web. Just incude some very small diamater lengths of pipe to act as dampers. Otherwise the pressure pulses from the bike would have the reading fluttering all over the shop.

ive found a couple of things about them, i was going to use a bigger bore to make the changes smaller and slower and then choke the tubes down with inserts, i'll have a play and see what i can get it to do then post up results.

Archived