Bead breaker

Kayla

I'm fed up with having to deal with the morons down at the tyre place who want vehicle reg., blood types and urine samples just to remove a bloody tyre from a loose wheel. Are these any good, do we know?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYC-MOTORCYCLE-TYRE-...=item483b0b751e

My bf will be doing the work :lol:

I have one and on some tyre brands with softer tyre walls its fine. On others its an absolute pain! Best one i've seen is the Abba version which would be very easy to copy.

I have what looks like the very same one. Never had any issues with using it other than NC30 rear wheels dont work very well on it due to the odd shape. Guess there are lots better but mine was v cheap.

Good thing about these or have any other breaker is that you can use it to pop on the very last bit of tyre which can be a pain.

Thing to always remember with tyre changing is 'there is always time for lube'.

tumblr_kpqpihIrz01qzapflo1_400.jpg

That one on flea bay don't look bad if the build quality is good.

in other words can you put some scaffold pipe on the end for a bit more leverage!

Back in the day when i used to change car tyres regularly that's the sort of thing we used (back street garage) tho it looked like it had been made by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

From Fiesta's to Land Rover's i was the man!

I'm fed up with having to deal with the morons down at the tyre place who want urine samples just to remove a bloody tyre from a loose wheel.

They're taking the piss, them lot.

Ive got the ABBA one...it's easy to use if a bit slow.

^this, oh and +1 for plenty of lube coming off and putting on :o

Yes those, but buy maybe 4*, and some kind rim protection.

*On the basis that 2 will never be to hand when you need them.

I have also found, that when putting the tyre back on, taking little steps is the way along with loads of ggod lube, just baby steps a little at a time and pop its on.

Kayla - surely with your new found welding skillz you could knock one up?

Or use a big G-clamp and a lump of wood. Works for me.

Yes I probably could, I like the G-clamp idea though, thanks :eusa_dance:

btw the abba (or similar threaded) bead breaker also makes a handy 3rd hand when fitting a tyre - keeping one part secure while you work around the rest of the wheel

Kayla - surely with your new found welding skillz you could knock one up?

Or use a big G-clamp and a lump of wood. Works for me.

Alex, can you elaborate on the best way to use the G-clamp method?

Alex, can you elaborate on the best way to use the G-clamp method?

Just a wooden batten clamped across the tyre, and nipped up bit by bit with two large G-clamps. Pop the bead, move the wood/clamps round a bit, do the same.

Then jab a couple of tyre levers in there.

Then liberal use of profanity, muscle, sweat, ...maybe a little blood for good measure and you'll be reet :blush:

Just a wooden batten clamped across the tyre, and nipped up bit by bit with two large G-clamps. Pop the bead, move the wood/clamps round a bit, do the same.

Then jab a couple of tyre levers in there.

Then liberal use of profanity, muscle, sweat, ...maybe a little blood for good measure and you'll be reet :blush:

Cheers mate.

I'm just having trouble picturing the wood clamped across the tyre. Its a simple concept, i know, but my brain's having none of it.

Do you mean that it gets clamped across the wheel, across the centre and opposite ends are popped by the clamps? Also what size clamps are we looking at? so i cam get some ordered innit.

I think trial and error will have to be the name of the game on this one. :)

p.s. I know im making this a lot more complex than it needs to be. But i am what is known in Scotland as a "fud".

Use the wood on a section of the tyre, not across the wheel, IYSWIM?

The wood clamped at either end just spreads the load from the clamps and breaks a wider section of bead, IYSWIM?

I've used a length of steel angle before, which worked, but the older I get the more bits of wood seem to appear in the shed.

:dribble::)

To be fair, I've just got away with using the clamp on it's own before now. Tends to shag the tyre though. Depends if you're gonna re-use it or bin it.

Have a look on the 'bay for second hand clamps. Record's are good. Mine are 8 or 10 inch, can't remember, and they're buried in the spider corner of the garage so I ain't disturbing those big hairy bastids.

Use the wood on a section of the tyre, not across the wheel, IYSWIM?

The wood clamped at either end just spreads the load from the clamps and breaks a wider section of bead, IYSWIM?

I've used a length of steel angle before, which worked, but the older I get the more bits of wood seem to appear in the shed.

:eusa_think::confused:

To be fair, I've just got away with using the clamp on it's own before now. Tends to shag the tyre though. Depends if you're gonna re-use it or bin it.

Have a look on the 'bay for second hand clamps. Record's are good. Mine are 8 or 10 inch, can't remember, and they're buried in the spider corner of the garage so I ain't disturbing those big hairy bastids.

No Probs mate, i think i see what you mean. Cheers for the advice :)

Archived