The right tools for the job

Ascalon

This evening, after assembling all the bits and bobs for the job, I put back together the forks from my ZXR750R-K1.

My brother had made me a fork seal driver for the 41m fork out of some old 50mm chromed bar that was an off cut he scrounged somewhere. I gave him some measurements and he turned it on my Dad's lathe, and I cut it in half with a hacksaw!

From start to finsh it took me about five minutes per leg. They are now ready to be filled without and refitted to the bike.

Last year I did the same job on a 750J using the old PVC pipe method and right fucking pain in the arse it was. I hammered away at the bastard for a good while before giving up and leaving it for a night then going back and trying again.

This time, I took my own advice and with the right tools, it was a doddle.

Let this be a lesson to you all, just buy yourself, or get your fitter brother to make, the right tools and the job's a good'un!

If permission is needed anywhere, I'll write you a note to say I said so!

A

It's great being able to whip out that special bit of finely honed kit and.... hang on, this is the wrong thread, I should be posting in the back door thread or something.

It's great being able to whip out that special bit of finely honed kit

It did have a lovely action to it, no mistake! Was bit hard to handle when fully greased up though!

Oooer, matron!

A

I agree. After doing several sets of forks over the years and fucking about with cut off pipe and bought myself an adjustable fork seal driver. What a differance. A pleasure to use and makes the jobs so much easier.

If anyone in the staffordshire/ cheshire area is ever doing the forks drop me a pm if youwant to borrow it. (may post elsewhere if you want/pay postage....normal big boys borrowing rules apply)

I agree. After doing several sets of forks over the years and fucking about with cut off pipe and bought myself an adjustable fork seal driver. What a differance. A pleasure to use and makes the jobs so much easier.

If anyone in the staffordshire/ cheshire area is ever doing the forks drop me a pm if youwant to borrow it. (may post elsewhere if you want/pay postage....normal big boys borrowing rules apply)

Indeed, as soon as I am finished the 750R-K I am going to refresh the suspension on me ST4s, which has a good set of fully adjustable Showas up front and Ohlins at the back. The forks are 43mm, so I may invest some more beer and get my brother to turn another one at 43mm.

Job done!

A

Archived