Yamaha Buffs

Hendo

These clocks are shown as being off a FZR 1WG model -

clocks.jpg

But I cant seem to find much on this model. Is it rare or something?

Are there any other yamaha models that share this speedo? I know there are plenty models sharing the same housing but its the actual internal speedo unit itself Im interested in.

I can find plenty of other FZR speedos, but they go upto 160/180MPH. Its the fact that this one only goes upto 120MPH that makes it appealing to me. Would go nicely on the 3XV...

TIA

Andy

The 1WG isn't really rare, but these aren't off a true 1WG, they had different speedo's, with the idiot lights in the top right corner.

My guess is a UK 1WG, or a US 1WG

My Jap Spec 3EN2 went to 160kmph, so that would be around 120mph.

1WG covers all the FZR400 from the Genesis to the 3EN2.

I think the speedos were in KMH only and there's a speedo restriction from 1988 (3EN1) onwards. I doubt those are 400 clocks because the 400 redlines at 14.0k rpm.

TeeJay0308.jpg

The above is from my 3TJ befor I fitted a kmh / mph speedo converter and shorter wing mirror bolts and capped nuts.

You need the Gold speedo converter fitted at the bottom of the forks there's not enough room in the fairing for the blue type.

Ah yeah, so the 12k redline would suggest a 600, but the 120mph speedo would suggest a 400. Also, i've never seen an incremented temp gauge on an older FZR. The 600R and later 1000 Exups have incremented temp gauges.

Hmmm, US Cal 3HE 600 possibly?

EDIT 1: But wouldn't the temp gauge then be in degrees Farenheit instead of Celcius?

EDIT 2: Looking at the pic again, the temp gauge could have been swapped for a non-original one seeing as the gauge is not in straight. Which would annoy me endlessly

Cheers guys.

Im trying to avoid the speedo overlays or the inline cable converter. Id like to do it properly, I know how to do it all, its sourcing the parts that is proving troublesome.

Is there any yamaha models that have a speedo that goes upto 140MPH (but still in the same housing as this one)? Would prefer the 120MPH speedo but I'd settle for a 140MPH one. A 160/180MPH speedo might look a bit silly on a 250!

Cheers

Andy

Most of the Yam speedos will fit in that style dash, maybe a TZR 250 speedo (the paralell twin).

You'll need a M Max box or similar and plug it into the loom behind the speedo ... or have the CDI doctored.

Archived