Exhaust Studs

fatfuk

I have been doing a litle tidy up work on me old blade.

Exhaust came of no probs, but the stud nuts took out all but 2 of the studs.

Now I have a stud and a half sticking out of No.2 exhaust outlet, and can't budge 'em. I have a wheel type stud extractor, but it's too big to get a grip on the studs.

There is plenty of meat left to get a grip on, and I don't want to drill t'buggers.

Any ideas for getting 'em out? or any idea of what tool I should use?

cheers

as above heat the ally around the bolt with the grips on then apply firm pressure dont jerk it or you'll end up snapping it, use some wd40 to lube on the way out will also cool and shrink the bolt.

put two nuts on the top,after warming and the plus gass,the give it a tap as this will losed the thred,then undo and tighten in little goes,as to runn the pluss gass down the thred,iv had loads of studs like this and have got all but one out ,them bloody nc30 studs are crap!

NC30 exhaust studs are indeed crap...

I prefer the old "heat and light tap" metod, work almost every time. If you can, try putting a cordless drill on the stud, it has worked a few times, but need space.

On my NC, the next time I take the engine out, I will take out all the studs, put helicoils in the heads and use M6 titanium bolts with plenty copper slip.

Oh, and WD40 is crap, good for dissolving chain lube on the rear rim, apart from that not much else...

Ronni

Thanks for the ideas guys.

WD40 is indeed crap as a penetrating fluid. I usualy use good ol deisel in a skooshy bottle

Just to add a +1 to the above. Heat, squirty stuff, heat, more squirty stuff, bit more heat, put the flames out as the squirty stuff ignites, then attach 2 nuts and simply undo it.

WD40 isn't a very good penetrating oil. Get some proper graphited penetrating oil (like this). Soak the studs in the oil and let it sit overnight. if it doesn't budge, then do you have access to a MIG welder? If so, weld a nut on the end, and the heat will break the seal.

Throw the studs into the bin and replace them with bolts (watch the thread length......you don't want the bolt to bottom out and strip the threads in the head). Good quality stainless (A4 grade minimum) will make life much easier if you have to remove them in the future.

In my experience the weldy weldy method doesn't work. Coz the stud work hardens with the engine heat over time. it'll weld but the weld is weaker than the nut and the stud and just gives way when you start turning.

Agood extractor kit and lots of penetrating oil and patience should see it out.

In the end I resorted to drilling mine out but this was only coz a) there was only 1 to do and :icon_salut: there wasn't enough thread for the two nut method.

Good Luck!

Archived