bung holes

RussBlade

right i put crash bungs on the bike a while back, followed r&g's instructions and all went well, untill i realised that you have to take the engine bolts out to remove the side panels, so i need to enlarge the holes with a bigger hole saw which ive got, any ideas on how to get it centered propperly without making a bloody mess of it?

Put the bung up against the fairing and stick it so it's more or less central to the bolt. Draw round the outline with a marker. This way you can see where the bung'll be and so you can then cut in pretty much the middle of it. Then get some white spirit/alchohol etc on a cloth and wipe the marker off. editted to add: alex's cone bit is a better way.

Put the bung up against the fairing and stick it so it's more or less central to the bolt. Draw round the outline with a marker. This way you can see where the bung'll be and so you can then cut in pretty much the middle of it. Then get some white spirit/alchohol etc on a cloth and wipe the marker off. editted to add: alex's cone bit is a better way.

in the past i have used a bolt same size as old engine bold you removing and cut head off bolt then ground it to a sharp centralised point. screwed this into engine mount so sharp point can be pressed up against inside of fairing. this gives you centre of bolt from inside. use small pilot dril from inside and you then use hole cutter from outside and indeed roberts your fathers brother etc

Can you fit the smaller sized holesaw inside the new one on the same arbor?

This will keep it centralised when you cut the new hole. Sometimes you can, sometimes not. It depends on the depth of thread on the arbour, and thickness of the holesaws. (and also wether the holesaws fit onto the same size arbour)

Can you fit the smaller sized holesaw inside the new one on the same arbor?

This will keep it centralised when you cut the new hole. Sometimes you can, sometimes not. It depends on the depth of thread on the arbour, and thickness of the holesaws. (and also wether the holesaws fit onto the same size arbour)

cheers this worked a treat

Archived