Lacquer peel

Jaybewan

I'm having a bit of trouble with the lacquer on a project I've got where it's peeling off in large sections but still stuck fast in others.

I was hoping to get all the lacquer off a panel and leave the paint as is (as an experiment) but I'm struggling to figure out the best way to get the lacquer off leaving the paint in place.

Any suggestions or am I being a bit dim*?

*don't answer that..

No easy way im afraid.You have to use some elbow grease and sand it all off.

Use some 80 grit, then 120 then 220.. possibly 280 or 320 to get a good finish. make sure you get all of the scratches out before you put paint & laquer back on.

There won't be any more paint or lacquer going back on to the panel as it'll be left as is once the lacquer has been taken off (it's a bit of an experiment y'see).

Definitely going to be sandpaper jobbie but I don't really want swirl/scratch marks in the paint that's left so it'll have to be a very fine grade methinks... ;)

Would nitromors take it off? It'd save a lot of sanding if it did...

As long as it didn't go through the paint underneath then I think it might be worth a go...

If it does bugger the paint underneath though it may mess with the overall look I'm aiming for (more on that later).

The laquer is reacting with the paint ... you need to take it all off and start again, but this time compatable paints.

Paint stripper will take it all off quickly and more easily than sanding but it's probably not good to use it on plastics.

Hey guys ain't we going about this the wrong way. Surely better to feather the edges back, where it's pealing away, 1000 wet and Dry Soap etc. Then shoot it with more laquer until it's all sweet again.

The laquer is reacting with the paint ... you need to take it all off and start again, but this time compatable paints.

Paint stripper will take it all off quickly and more easily than sanding but it's probably not good to use it on plastics.

+1

You need to take off all the old stuff.

As i said take it all off and prep it all again. Prior preperation Prevents a Piss Poor performance. ;)

The amount of time it's been on there would tell you if it's reacting or not. If it's years old and it's stuck on fine in some places, it's most likely just that the laquer is coming away and moisture is getting under it, making it come away a bit more. If it's freshly applied and it's going bobbly then it's a reaction. The two are very different things. Just make sure you get all of the old stuff off, rub it back with some fine stuff, 1200 or so, and be 100% certain that the edge bit of where you thing it is starting to lift is sand beyond, if you see what i mean. Get a marker pen, draw the outline of where you think it's sound and then sand beyond that mark. This is useful because once the laquer starts getting sanded you'll struggle to see where the good stuff finishes. Then laquer over the top once more. Job jobbed.

Archived