engine cleaning advise required.

kaighn80

i'm at that point of the build where im sick and tired of getting dirty any time i go within a foot of the engine, i can get it out of the frame and will have to do so at some point so i can finish the exhausts, but whats the easiest way of cleaning the whole engine, i dont want to spend a fortune on bits to do it and when i'm finished cleaning it i will be painting it with gloss black BBQ paint so it looks factory, any suggestions then?

did this one last week...

167354_176065205770005_114533548589838_381838_8284516_n.jpg

and this one recently...

61614_141616062548253_114533548589838_202329_5936155_n.jpg

warmed the engine a bit, gunk, let it soak in for a bit, strong hose or careful jetwash, any remaining gunge removed with wd40 and rag, then in with the muc-off/similar (or hot bucket of diluted wash+wax) and brushes then rinse then compressed air / garden blower dry then spray and wipe with PFTE 'maintenance spray' (not if you're going to be painting it though of course).

I use paraffin - it's about £10 for 4litres. I apply it with an old mr muscle bathroom / kitchen spray bottle and work it in with a 1/4" paintbrush then hose it off with water.

I use paraffin - it's about £10 for 4litres. I apply it with an old mr muscle bathroom / kitchen spray bottle and work it in with a 1/4" paintbrush then hose it off with water.

+1 parrafin is a great cheap way for cleaning old dirty dried up oils.

Petrol cleans most stuff quite well, and is even cheaper, but if you are in a confined space might make you quite ''intoxicated'' :)

Jeez mate, that's not very environmentally friendly is it? All that parafin going down a water drain?

Not good.

A

1.) Place a sheet of cardboard on the flat ground.

2.) Place your bike on the cardboard so you bikes wheels are on top of the card.

3.) Scrape as much of the crud off as you can using a PLASTIC spatula.(collect big bits in carrier bag and dispose of)

4.) Use wd40 or Kerosene (thats the base of WD40) and scrub with toothbrush or a NYLON brush. Dont use paint brushes as the bristles are too soft.

5.) Use a water based degreaser to go over the engine to remove all of the WD40/Kerosene.

6.) Wash it all off.

7.) Dry/Air dry

8.) Prep for paint.

9.) Dispose of the WD40/kerosene soaked card in the bin.

Job DONE!

*Just to point out you WILL need to use a water based degreaser or your lovely new paint wont stick.

+1 parrafin is a great cheap way for cleaning old dirty dried up oils.

Petrol cleans most stuff quite well, and is even cheaper, but if you are in a confined space might make you quite ''intoxicated'' :beerchug:

Could you not just use diesil? Its similar to paraffin and far cheaper. I "borrow" Jet A1 from work for my cleaning duties. It brings my chain up lovely and when i soaked my sprocket cover in it overnight all the accumulated crud and old chain lube almost fell off.

Jeez mate, that's not very environmentally friendly is it? All that parafin going down a water drain?

Not good.

A

A Turbo Nitrous Busa in a GIA frame isn't either, but I doubt you'd complain :eusa_whistle:

Not good.

A

I use less than 1/3 jam jar to clean the full bike dispursed with water .... there's a lot worse that get used

For a safer/greener solution you could try this stuff from Halfords...I've used the equivalent on my mountain bike and it's very good for getting rid of oil on the chainset etc, and you can probably dilute it 50% and it still works.

Engine out, big tray, petrol, stiff plastic brush. Little brass brush for the furry alloy, more petrol. air line to dry out nooks and cranies.

+1 for the petrol and plastic tray combo, cheap as chips and removes all unwanted engine gunk nastiness whilst smelling great! And if you rinse it all again with fresh petrol it's usually degreased enough to paint over! ;)

I use less than 1/3 jam jar to clean the full bike dispursed with water .... there's a lot worse that get used

Fair enough, that's a relatively small amount, but still, petroleum products down the water drains is not a god idea.

And as for the turbo 'Busa in a GIA frame, not my cup of tea mate, 'twould be on eBay quicker than it could do a standing quarter!

;-)

A

Another good degreaser if your not to worried about paint work is old Break fluid, drys off with no smell or after smear. Been using it for a while even at work of industrial engines.

Another good degreaser if your not to worried about paint work is old Break fluid, drys off with no smell or after smear. Been using it for a while even at work of industrial engines.

Archived